Author Topic: AW1416VS Lathe  (Read 9858 times)

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
AW1416VS Lathe
« on: May 05, 2011, 06:30:57 PM »
Hi

I purchased this lathe in April from the new Warrington store and I'm delighted with it.  It has several positive features:
•   The speed control is smooth and quick, there is little or no ramp up time.
•   It is very quiet.
•   It is portable with two lifting handles, one at each end of the lathe.
•   It has a substantial size spindle at M33 x 3.5 and MT2 head and tailstock.
•   It has a 24 position indexing system.
•   The on/off/speed control can be positioned wherever is convenient.
•   It has a great speed range, which is one of my requirements as I do a lot of thread chasing and it makes changing the speed very simple and quick.

I have made a bench for it which clamps onto a knock down stand so I can transport it to my woodturning club events. The bench also has castors so once it’s out of the shed it can be wheeled to the car.

There are a couple of things that could be improved:

•   A template of the base would be useful to make the hole positions on the bench to make it easy to drill the holes for the fixing bolts as these are inside the lathe footprint.
•   The inverter and speed readout seem a little vulnerable and could be damaged if you plan the move the lathe on a regular basis.  It would seem (on the face of it) relatively easy to make these demountable by inserting a couple of connectors in the cables.   I haven’t done this as I didn’t want to invalidate the warranty so I've got around this by making the bench bigger than the overall footprint and then I’ve built a simple plywood box (without a base or top) which I drop over the lathe and latch it to the bench.  So when it’s in the back of my vehicle it’s protected from damage.

I think this lathe offer great value for money.  I bought it as a second lathe which I could transport but I shall also be using it on a regular basis in the shed as well.

Here's the link to the Axminster page:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-aw1416vs-woodturning-lathe-prod834297/

Cheers Dave

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: AW1416VS Lathe
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »

Dave, How the little beauity going..  if I'd not got a second lathe (well the wife's M900) I'd go for one..  but then as it not 1"x 8tpi the current chuck we have won't fit..   ??? ...

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 06:47:53 PM »
Well done dave, that sounds great. Glad you're enjoying it. It's a nice lathe.

lew.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:16 PM »
Hi

Yes the lathe is going well, and it's very quiet.

Here's some pictures - one showing it in it's case in the vehicle, the other with the case off.  The third shows the method I use to move it around.  The castors work really well, even on grass.

I made a simple wooden stand and when it's clamped to it, it's rock solid.

Cheers Dave

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:24:34 PM »

Nice one Dave,  see what you mean about the over large inverter on the back... nice trolley, what is the safe tow speed..   ;D ..  it's nice to catch up and know you are happy and well pleased with the lathe, it's what counts.

Cheers.      David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:49:30 AM »
the tow speed might be a pretty decent (O.A.P zimmer frame) speed. Tea tray?...

lew

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »
Hello Dave

Just to ask you about the Axminster AW1416VS Woodturning Lathe.

I have seen you review on the Axminster site and on here and just wounded if you had any updates on this lathe.

Best regards
Philip

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 05:09:45 PM »
Hi Philip

It continues to do excellent service.  I was using it only the other weekend at a club show. 

I see that George has a full review in the latest Woodturning.  I'd second everything he says. 

I'm delighted with mine and I bought it as a second lathe to take to demos but if anyone was starting from scratch this would be an excellent buy and if you want a greater distance between centres you can buy a bed extension.

I've seen the stand for it at Loughborough and I prefer the one I made for mine.

Cheers Dave