Author Topic: Sphere turning jig for a VB36  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Sphere turning jig for a VB36
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »
Paul Howard has now developed an adaptor for his sphere turning jig to be fitted to a VB36, it looks a neat bit of kit if you have a need for this. Paul developed this at my request as I wanted a quality jig for future projects. Check his website below for further details and pricing etc.

I have no affiliation to Paul just posted for information.

paul@howards-technical.co.uk
paulhotm@hotmail.co.uk
Tel 01621 815654
Mob / Cell 07966 188559
www.paulhowardwoodturner.co.uk
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Sphere turning jig for a VB36
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »
i've always wondered how it copes with the lack of a support plate underneath the toolpost.

i know it has a double bearing to reduce vibration but does it get rid of it completely?

here is a video of one that i made for my skittle balls, i went belt and braces for my design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L8gVf9UjV4

you can't really see the base in the video so if you want more pictures just ask.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 07:40:26 AM »
i've always wondered how it copes with the lack of a support plate underneath the toolpost.

i know it has a double bearing to reduce vibration but does it get rid of it completely?

here is a video of one that i made for my skittle balls, i went belt and braces for my design.

you can't really see the base in the video so if you want more pictures just ask.

I did raise this and a wooden support onto the tool post should stop vibration if there is any, saving my pennies now!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 01:42:55 PM »

Look very capable , Nice design well done

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 02:25:04 PM »
Well just took delivery of one of these jigs, yet to be tested as annoyingly work has got in the way. However I did set it up on the lathe ans fettle the cutter height etc. I can say this is an extremely solid bit of kit, the custom bracket to fir the VB bed bars is solid and no apparent movement or vibration issues.

I will post some pictures and update when I get to play in earnest with the beastie. Does spheres from tiny to over 350mm, has a carbide cutter similar to the Lyle JAMIESON hollower, and the engineering and fit and finish look to be of a very high quality. Supplied with everything required and allan keys , spare bolts etc.