Author Topic: Sweet Chestnut  (Read 3584 times)

Offline adamstew

• iron
Sweet Chestnut
« on: November 01, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »
Hi

Walking through our local woods yesterday there was a large area of young sweet chestnut that has been coppiced. I'm waiting to hear from the local management company about the plans for it (i.e. can I nick some), but in the meantime has anyone any experience working it? Does it turn well? It's not a wood I've used personally, but it looks good from the outside, and I need a nice pale wood for a jumbo chess set I've got planned.

Cheers
Adam

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Sweet Chestnut
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »
I assume that we're talking about Castanea Sativa.
I've used this chestnut many times, especially for display work in museums for things like reproduction doors and furniture in their displays. It is very similar to, but not as a high a quality as oak....and is sometimes referred to in the trade as 'Poor-man's oak'.
It's got a fairly coarse grain, but it works quite well and takes a good finish.

You'll get more info from the Databasehttp://www.wood-database.com/sweet-chestnut/
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 09:00:32 PM »
You'll probably find it's earmarked for making fencing, no idea what is so special about Chestnut Pailings but they seem popular.

Still if you don't ask, you don't get. Try it and the best of luck.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 05:23:08 PM »
I recently repaired an old spinning wheel, and I was told the wood was sweet chestnut. It is a darkish brown now, possibly due to the finish and reacting to the light, so I reckon that your idea of having it for the lighter chess pieces may need a rethink.
Ron

Offline adamstew

• iron
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 08:58:39 PM »
I recently repaired an old spinning wheel, and I was told the wood was sweet chestnut. It is a darkish brown now, possibly due to the finish and reacting to the light, so I reckon that your idea of having it for the lighter chess pieces may need a rethink.
Ron

Thanks for the tipoff, I'll investigate further.

Adam

Offline mickdundee

• iron
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 03:01:43 PM »
You'll probably find it's earmarked for making fencing, no idea what is so special about Chestnut Pailings but they seem popular.

I've been told two reasons for it. 1 is the high level of tannins in the wood make it very durable for outdoor use. And 2, because it can be easily split in long lengths to make rails, although I thought they were usually milled rather than split from a log so don't know how true that is

Offline adamstew

• iron
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 09:20:47 PM »
Still to hear from the management company, but one thing I realised was that while there are lots of long lengths, there are as many if not more less than 1m long...probably not much use for fencing I'd imagine.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 10:17:50 AM »

I've been told two reasons for it. 1 is the high level of tannins in the wood make it very durable for outdoor use. And 2, because it can be easily split in long lengths to make rails, although I thought they were usually milled rather than split from a log so don't know how true that is

The chestnut paling fences are made from split wood, there use to be someone making them bot far from where I live