Author Topic: Back in the Workshop  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Back in the Workshop
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:45:50 PM »
Hi guy's,

I've been out of the workshop for oh... 3 months now. The wife had her spine rebuilt by a surgeon and caring for her was more important than hobbies.

Anyway, I finally got back in the chair and have finished a turning I'd roughed out early summer.

It's a piece of small Cherry trunk, 6 1/2" (160mm) high by 5 1/4" (135mm) wide (at it's widest point). Stained with Chestnut Blue spirit stain, lightly cut back and then several (many) coats of Danish oil. Finally cut back and buffed on a 3 wheel buffing system.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Back in the Workshop
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 11:06:24 PM »
Very nice I like this as it leaves the grain showing also you have left nateral wood showing as well. How did you apply the stain and did you thin it. I ask as I have just brought the tester pack of stains to have a go.

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:41:04 AM »
Verry pretty vessel. I like the rim detail very much. Worth the wait I'd say.

Glad to hear SWMBO is on the mend. Sounds like you've both had a rough time. Best wishes to you both.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »
Glad to hear that things are going well for you.  I like the vessel very much and as Andy says - well worth the wait.  The colouring really brings out the colour.

All the best to you both

Cheers Dave

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 11:56:54 PM »
A bit of theraputic turning to get your head back in shape. Good to hear all is going the right way.

Blue, hmmm, not use if its my cup of tea, never the less it has all come together very well, well done.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:47:04 AM »
  The colouring really brings out the colour.

Doh!!! I meant it picks out the grain ;D ;D

Cheers Dave

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
Hi A very nice piece I also agree with Dave it brings out the grain I am glad your wife is getting better :).Regards John
John Smith

BarryMobbs

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »
It's good to see that you are back at the lathe.
I like this piece, in particular the uncoloured wood ouside the rim which is completely free of any stain that has bled through. How do you prevent the stain leaking through? It has always been a problem for me, especially when using coarse grained wood like ash.
  Barry

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »

The blue has worked so well with the grain and at times you can see things in them, Grommit in the lower pic (of Wallace & .... ) or is it just me ...   :D ...
It has finished well and not to have had the blue bleed into the plain rim, as Barry has commented, beautiful piece and return to the lathe.

Wish you and your wife both well with her continuing recovery.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and good wishes to my better half guys, lets see if I can answer some of the questions;

Derek - I did not thin the stain, I applied it neat and a couple of coats. Having let it dry I then cut it back with 320 and the effect of the grain 'happened'.
I've tried a thinned version If you look at this thread http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php?topic=242.0 you'll see the effect I achieved - not popular at all.

Andy -  The rim detail was drawn with a ruling pen to achieve the straight edge (I used to be a draftsman - pre CAD) using the tool rest as a steady, then a paintbrush to fill in. It's just a standard Gold Acrylic used by model makers and I was surprised to find it held up to the final buffing very well.

Hughie - If I could carve detail into my work the way you can, maybe I'd not use colour. Then again Flowering Cherry is bland especially compared to your Camphor Laurel.

Barry - The inside was finished first, sanded smooth, a couple of coats of cellulose sanding sealer then waxed. I then sanded the rim to remove any over-spill of that finish so I could key the stain and finally the gold rim colour.
I did it this way so I could paint the rim and wipe any over-spill inside of vessel away. It also acted as a seal to the spirit stain bleeding through (I assume as there is non even down inside). I have suffered bleed through previously when I did not finish the inside first.

David - I think it is a 'male' thing to see faces in shapes (I see Snoopy) but probably in a different effect of the grain to you.

The only other thing to say is it sold, first outing - and while awaiting collection I could have sold it 4 more times, so I'm thinking I'll have another go and make some more.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 07:27:35 AM »
I've been out of the workshop for oh... 3 months now. The wife had her spine rebuilt by a surgeon and caring for her was more important than hobbies.

Ouch, not for the faint hearted.

interesting pieces. I have never used colour, certainly comes up very well in this case, well done.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 07:32:53 PM »
Hi Dragonfly,
                 it is no secret that I am a "brown and round" turner although I admit to the ocassional foray with colour and texture. If there was a piece to get me going in that direction again it would be this one purely because it shows off the grain probably better with a colour than it would without.
I like it.
Glad all is going well.
Regards
John BHT :)