Author Topic: graduate union chuck (bowl lathe  (Read 2997 times)

Offline wildewood

• iron
graduate union chuck (bowl lathe
« on: September 29, 2016, 02:21:57 PM »
hi again

just wanted peoples input on getting a chuck - i have two nova chucks with various (Charnwood) jaws which I use on my old ml 8 - I don't think they will fit the union though so I'm looking or a chuck & possibly a face plate (though I'm wondering if i couldn't drill holes in the sanding plate (if i can get it off) & use this as it would seem to be the same ?

Any advise gratefully received all the best S

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: graduate union chuck (bowl lathe
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »
Your most versatile option is probably the VersaChuck sold by the toolpost. It is available for just about any headstock thread on the market, and you can have mounting jaws for just about any jaw set on the market.
As far as face plates are concerned, again, the toolpost offer a wide range, and you'll probably end up owning a fair few of them anyway (I think I am currently on 6 after about 2 years of turning), plus they are not expensive.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 06:49:33 AM »
You could buy a Robert Sorby 1 1/2" x 6 excert which is threaded to fit your Graduate then use your Nova's. The one downside of using a excert is that they are about 2" deep. Robert Sorby also do face plate rings which would also fit your Nova's

http://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product/patriot-chuck-thread-adaptors-2/

http://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product/robert-sorby-face-plates/

Hope that helps

Ed

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 08:32:11 AM »
Or you could sell the Novas and get a new Sorby (or two) with dedicated thread.  They have a great range of jaws and your Nova jaws should fit as well.

Offline wildewood

• iron
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 04:17:41 PM »
thank you all for this - always a pleasure on this site - ED banger why would the 2" insert be a pain?
cheers

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 06:12:59 PM »
Exerts effectively sit behind the chuck so move the chuck out further away from the bearings.  This increases the strain on the bearings which is not a great thing.  It also reduces your bed length which on a grad short-bed is already pretty short.  there'll be times when you want all the length you can get (I know, I've got one myself and wouldn't want to lose 2"!).

Offline wildewood

• iron
Re: graduate union chuck (bowl lathe)
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 08:17:23 PM »
Ok thanks for that - can you (anyone direct me to an operating manual - just the basics how to locking the spindle - releasing / locking the belt - changing the chuck etc - cheers S

Offline Nick Simpson

• bronze
    • Boglecraft
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »
I have a pdf user manual which I could send to your email address
Locking for chuck removal is done by using a 32mm spanner at the inboard end of the spindle with the lid open. All Graduate nuts & bolts are imperial so I guess that would be 1 1/4". Indexing is not provided. You will need to use an indexed chuck or an expensive indexer or make your own. You may already have found out that the sanding plate has a left-hand thread so not useful as an inboard faceplate. Axminster make chucks to graduate threading with an ingenious thread which is both left and right handed (T02RL).
Changing the belt is not difficult but time consuming. Many turners changed to linked belts which can be fitted by removing and replacing a link. Convenient but noisier than the plain belt
Hope this helps
Nick
See me at Boglecraft  https://www.Boglecraft.co.uk