Author Topic: A few new bits...  (Read 2433 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
A few new bits...
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:32:52 AM »
It's been a busy summer on the day-job so turning's been a bit slow.  Knocked out a few in the last week though...

1.  Turkey oak, nicely spalted as well as lovely dark heartwood/creamy sapwood.  About 7" diameter.

2. Damson - from the lower part of a trunk taken out of our garden last autumn.  About 9" diameter.

3. More of the same damson but turned on the endgrain.  6" tall x 5" at the widest.

4.  Red oak - from a batch I got from a friend, he's bought an artic-load to resell as firewood..... :o  I'm saving what I can  ;D  Inside has been scorched - not sure how to finish/stabalise the inside yet.  About 4" diameter.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Re: A few new bits...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »
Additional views...

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:57:06 AM »
I have never seen Damson, what a lovely piece of wood. :)
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 06:09:59 PM »
It is lovely isn't it.  Not all damson looks like that though, I have plenty that is fairly plain with just a little colouring.  I think this has more exaggerated colour because of its age.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 07:16:41 PM »
I like the nice simple forms of the external curve, but not too keen on the groove that runs around the inside of the rims on the first 2 pieces, I suspect that it could be a bit of a dirt/dust trap. As Lazarus says, though, the wood is lovely.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »
I think the Bowl, in bowl effect of the first 2 images is very clever. My first thought was it was two bowls made to fit together. Well done on them.

The shape of the Damson Vase is excellent, the long sweeping curve really hold well on the colour of the wood.

The small red oak bowl, has equally pleasing curves, I like the way it has no foot and has to find its own balance point to sit on. If it is still green, I think you can expect it to develop a crack or two, its a lovely wood, but very prone to cracking, hopefully they will just enhance the work and not detract from it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 10:13:11 PM »
One very nice looking set Chris

Ed

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 08:47:14 AM »
Thanks all.

Les - not too keen on the groove that runs around the inside of the rims on the first 2 pieces, I suspect that it could be a bit of a dirt/dust trap.  SWMBO does the cleaning so I don't need to worry about that  ;D ;D ::)    This groove has become a bit of a trade mark for me.  I really like the way it makes the overall piece appear lighter and more delicate.  Appreciate it won't be for everyone though.

Bryan - Thanks for kind words, glad you like them.  If it is still green, I think you can expect it to develop a crack or two, its a lovely wood, but very prone to cracking, hopefully they will just enhance the work and not detract from it.  I hope it does crack/distort to be honest.  Nearly everything I turn is only partially seasoned and turned to a finish straightaway. I love the additional character that comes with the drying process.  Having said that, the water that came out of this piece of oak when I turned the blow torch on it suggest there's no too much left in it! 

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »

Really like the double bowl effect Chris.... ( possibly a dust trap  but still like it }..... the second one down being
          the favourite .... lovely job with the Damson.
          Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 05:37:41 PM »
4 very nice pieces but the third one down has it for me have you got a view to show a little more of the top

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 09:00:01 AM »
Thanks Tony & Di, pleased you like them.

Thanks Derek.  No other pics at the moment I'm afraid.