Author Topic: Import of wood  (Read 4393 times)

Offline malcy

• gold
Import of wood
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:36:23 AM »
I am going to USA next month on holiday. I am wondering about buying some seasoned White American holly and bringing it back with me. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on doing this and what if any duty will need to be paid. It'll only be a cubic foot or so. The reason for doing this is that I know I can get a really white holly in USA. Everything I buy over here seems to have a brownish or greyish tinge to it. Thanks. Malcolm.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: Import of wood
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »
Malcy,

I think most of us that go to the AAW or other shows, come back with a case load of timber.

There are some rules about moving timber across county lines but so far nothing on international. Most times you are OK unless I guess you have your cases stuffed full of timber which might be a little bit suspect! "But officer, I'm a woodturner" doesn't cut it then.

I can get you English holly with good provenance in log or half log but I don't think it will be white enough for you.

David

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 06:51:19 PM »
Thanks for that reply, David. I know of a source in USA that sells really white holly so I'll try them. Thanks again. Malcolm

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 07:12:50 PM »
Ok if you change your mind I can point you to some 14" diameter half logs and branch Wood Not sure how white it is location is inside M25.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 07:32:14 PM »
There is a small chance of falling fowl of ISPM 15, the movement of wood. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISPM_15 & https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requirements-for-wood-packaging-used-for-imports-and-exports. I'd suggest you ask a few questions, officially, just to be sure.

I have sent wooden objects abroad as has Pete (bodrighywood). But I've always had to add a note certifying that it had been treated to ensure no living insect etc is in it.

Certainly packing wood needs to be heat treated to ensure there is no bugs in it (think Dutch Elm, Oak Sudden Death, Ash Dieback etc.)

The small quantities you'll be thinking of should not be a problem to treat or possibly getting a certificate for.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 10:16:33 PM »
I have sent wood items abroad, States is usually OK, Australia I refuse as it is almost guaranteed to be rejected. I haven't imported any as I am too tight fisted to pay the dutied etc involved. You do need to check as Brian says as penalties if you break the rules are horrendous.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 11:28:41 PM »
Do we really need to ship timber around when we have so much of a natural supply. If it is slightly off white oxalic acid will give you paper white holly?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
I have tried bleaching holly and I don't get a white finish and it is only less than half a mm deep anyway. That will be turned away when finishing. I do open segmented stuff so I need white all the way through. Malcolm.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 11:32:35 AM »
I have sent wood items abroad, States is usually OK, Australia I refuse as it is almost guaranteed to be rejected. I haven't imported any as I am too tight fisted to pay the dutied etc involved. You do need to check as Brian says as penalties if you break the rules are horrendous.

Pete

Must be something to do with the UK as I have had timber sent to me from all over. I also have a friend who has imported several hundred different species for his collection.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 11:37:33 AM »

Pete

Must be something to do with the UK as I have had timber sent to me from all over. I also have a friend who has imported several hundred different species for his collection.

Might be. I have sent items but have been advised (perhaps erroneously) that you are very strict on importing wood in Autralia in case of infection. Might be worth trying again though in light of your comments.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 12:00:42 PM »
i too thought australia was very strict on what it would allow into the country, i made a pair of candlesticks for my sister as she was going down under to a friends wedding between an aussie and a brit so i made one candlestick from UK wood and the other from aussie wood and i thought they could have trouble getting them in but as they are finished products i think they are ok.

timber collection samples i believe are considered a finished product.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »
When I went to Australia I remember a declaration on the in bound flight about no seeds,food products or similar, they are strict but I am sure there are ways to import. There must be as there are plenty of suppliers of Australian timbers here in the uk.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 11:09:47 PM »
They are not afraid of exporting wood or anything else, they are afraid of importing something that could get an invasive species going. This is actually a wordlwide problem, it's just that the Aussies were the first to take it seriously. Any imported species has no native predators (be it fauna or flora) and can therefore proliferate without hindrance if it finds the right environment, which then leads to endemic species going extinct.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 10:46:20 AM »
[

[/quote]

Might be. I have sent items but have been advised (perhaps erroneously) that you are very strict on importing wood in Autralia in case of infection. Might be worth trying again though in light of your comments.

Pete
[/quote]

Pete

The rough rule of thumb we use for import or export to and from Australia, USA and NZ is no bark, no worm holes or borer etc . Solid timber no voids and sealed with some sort of sealer. I have used wax, varnish anything really as long as it looks sealed.
On a regular basis woodturners from the US and NZ visit and take burls home with them I have assisted a few of them as the distances can be a daunting to many of them. :)  I  have driven more than once the equivalent distance of John O' Groats  to Lands End and back for a load of turning blanks.