Author Topic: Busy times ahead  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Busy times ahead
« on: August 27, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »
Looks like the quiet season, when all the tourists go back home, might be spent sorting and end-waxing logs!

About 2.5 tonne of ash...

....plus about a cubic metre of elder...

...and about 3 cubic metres of yew...

Les
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:49:24 AM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Busy times ahead
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 03:53:30 PM »
By the time you finish that lot you will be a little Elder and in need of a fag(ash) won't Yew ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »
That looks good Les, I envy you the yew. As the winter months come on the rain comes down and yew don't want to be using the chainsaw in the cold and rain, have you invested in an electric chainsaw yet ? Cutting the logs in the workshop makes such a huge difference when it's cold outside.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
By the time you finish that lot you will be a little Elder and in need of a fag(ash) won't Yew ?
Groan, groan!
..... have you invested in an electric chainsaw yet ? Cutting the logs in the workshop makes such a huge difference when it's cold outside.
Ah, Julian....north Walians are not as soft as the southerners, so it isn't really a problem. However, I'm born and bred in the south so yep, I feel the cold, but I have a 5metre x 4metre open-ended lean-to outside where I sometimes saw up my logs, much to SWMBO's annoyance, as she has washing lines under there as well....I just can't win.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 02:07:42 PM »

Ah, Julian....north Walians are not as soft as the southerners, so it isn't really a problem. However, I'm born and bred in the south so yep, I feel the cold, but I have a 5metre x 4metre open-ended lean-to outside where I sometimes saw up my logs, much to SWMBO's annoyance, as she has washing lines under there as well....I just can't win.
Les

I have just done some converting the wife even went out and brought me a new petrol chain saw, so now when I start on logs she comes out and seals all the bits and pieces for me. She must love me :-* ::) ::) ::)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:21:56 PM »
Les,

you're going to have to slow down a bit, that lot would keep most of us going for the rest of our naturals, not one winter.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!