Author Topic: Left & Right handed turning.  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Left & Right handed turning.
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:04:07 AM »
As a natural right hooker I have been teaching myself to turn left handed, there are many occasions when it allows greater access and tool control than my usual right handed stance. Since getting the VB I have found that it is a real bonus due to restricted access and on spindles it can save a lot of time. How do other get on using the "wrong" hand?

S.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Left & Right handed turning.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »
Much the same experience as what you've just mentioned. At first it was unnatural and clumsy, but it soon comes. Having studied a Richard Raffan video I kept something essential in mind.....in the early attempts keep your eye on the cutting edge and always think about it and about how you're presenting it to the surface of the wood. You can relax a bit and be more 'free' in your approach once you've got the feel for it (which is true of all techniques)
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »
Ambidextrous turning is something I probably inadvertently took to relatively early in my turning 'career'. We're always told to turn from the hip, controlling the tool as much with your body movement as with your hands/arms; being able to switch hands fluently gives a better range of movement without the need to contort your body around the lathe.

I'm sure there will be those on the forum who see no need for it but...if it's safe and effective then how can it be wrong.

As Les says, correct tool presentation is still key to success and safety so attempts to switch sides should not be made until you've mastered tool control; if you get it wrong naturally handed you'll make an even worse job on the other side. I've benefitted from this skill and actively encourage others to try it once they've mastered the basics.

Cheers
Rick

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 01:34:05 PM »
I  occasionally use left handed on facework as it is very useful sometimes due to restricted access. On spindle work I never change hands, I don't see the advantage and how can changing hands make it quicker? To change hands takes time.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 01:42:23 PM »
i've switched on the odd occasion as it'll give you better access without your body getting in the way but i try not to do it as my left hand side is only good for balancing my right hand side...

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »
I do turn both left and right handed, although I turn for a living I am not worried about dropping a few minutes during the day by switching. I find that sometime the wood needs to be cut from the other direction and it come s in handy.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 08:34:52 PM »
I have taught myself to use both hands, and found some jobs  easier by doing so.

As for speed I don't use a stop watch to time it. Having heard that some find it quicker by changing and other saying it is quicker by not changing have any of you ever timed a job to verify whether it is. It would be interesting to know how much time is saved either way

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 03:57:34 PM »
I naturaly use both hands for everything,so turning with both hands has never been a problem for me as I`ve always done it that way,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 08:01:29 PM »
I'm totally cack handed. I'm Very right handed in almost everything I do, except eat (then I'm left handed) and Turn when I am completely happy to hold the tool in either hand. It's the way I was taught when I took up turning.

The only way to turn.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
I am naturally right handed, but have developed good left hand skills due to playing piano since the tender age of nine. In consequence, it came almost naturally to me to use both hands for turning. Especially when roughing out bowls from green wood, it comes in very handy, as I can use left handed pull cuts, and therefore avoid getting totally soaked.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 04:22:42 PM »
I can't chase threads left handed but I can chase a left handed thread!! :P

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 12:28:11 PM »
Being  ambidextrous to degree from a very young age I found it relatively easy to turn with either hand. I do it now almost automatically as needed and would encourage any new turner to have a go at it.
But I realise for  some its more difficult if not impossible, but still worth having a crack at it.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 01:51:13 PM »
Being  ambidextrous to degree from a very young age I found it relatively easy to turn with either hand.....

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!  ;)
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Grethron

• iron
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 07:41:04 PM »
I've only just started turning, I'm right handed but found some stuff responds better if I use it left handed. Odd but true.

I've only got a couple of bowl gouges (biggun and smallun don't know the sizes) and I can only cut left handed with the larger one for some reason. It's evenly sharpened all the way round the flute but despite endless wriggling and adjusting I can only get dust right handed. Flip it over and the chips fly.