Author Topic: Yew with ringshake  (Read 2281 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Yew with ringshake
« on: July 19, 2016, 08:43:21 AM »
I obtained 4 nice pieces of yew at our last club meeting. They had been dried for many years, and the bark came off easily. I put one on the lathe as I could see a nice hollow form in it. It showed the usual cracks, but I didn't suspect anything more. Defined the outside shape, started hollowing it out, when the tenon gave out. No catch, not even a big cut, it just popped off. It managed to wrangle its way sideways off the lathe and off the tool (you can see the black marks around the top of the opening) and landed on the floor.
As I was hollowing, I wasn't in the line of fire, and other than a big surprise nothing much happened. On closer inspection of the break, there is a discolouration visible, and I think I had a case of ringshake. Totally invisible from the outside, but clearly exactly in the wrong spot for me. Just goes to show: you never quite know what's inside.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Yew with ringshake
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 01:16:05 PM »
bad luck mate, looks like it can still be rescued though.

should look really nice when finished.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
I've had this problem in the passed with Yew so I now always give the tenon a soaking in CA before mounting on the lathe.

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 07:25:43 PM »
Old yew has this problem, also fairly dusty to work as well. I had a lump I picked up, oh 18 years ago now, I'd forgotten, exactly the same problem.

My solution was Brass dust and thin CA. When polished the bright lines actually looked very good.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »
I have now glued the old tenon back on with Titebond III, but that's just to make it easier to put a completely new tenon on and redefine the outside shape.  I'll post updates as I go along.