Author Topic: lamp  (Read 3895 times)

Offline chill

• copper
lamp
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »
Hi, just finished this lamp for my sister in law, 1st go at hollow barley twists, made from Ash approx 470mm (18.5") high column is 60mm (2.5") dia ,base is 140mm (5.5")dia ,finished through the grits to 400, sanding sealer and satin lacquer buffed to a shine,  c&c welcome, thanks for looking
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:23:15 AM by chill »
Cheers Chris

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Re: lamp
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:17:58 PM »
Awesome looking lamp. Your sister in law should love it.

Can't see any lumps or bumps and the finish looks really good. The only thing I can think of is that a darker base may have set off the stem better but that is just my personal taste.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

Hi Chill,   welcome and what a wonderful 1st as post and lamp, a great gift, as with Phil the base could have been different in colour and more detailed, but it's down to you, what you have to work with, you can only use what you have and the skills, judging this piece it is many, for some the twist would be hard, as for hollowed you've done well.

Are you totally new to turning or only just now taken to show your work, which is more than just great, keep them coming, hoping you'll not be too 'chilly'..  Cheers.

Happy turning.   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline chill

• copper
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »
thank you both glad you like it.
Cheers Chris

Offline chill

• copper
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »
Hi Phillip and David, maybe the base will be darker on future ones, but the spec was pretty tight on this one, a very fuzzy pic and preference for one colour, the customer is always right!
I have been turning for just over a year, had 2 days of tuition with Mark Sanger last year, worth every penny
Cheers Chris

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »

Hi Chill, as it's a sister in law...  it has to be..   :D ...   you done well with Mark, he's a great guy for tuition, if only he was closer to me..   :( ... so we'll see some hollow forms from you... ;D ...

The base, you need to plan in some weight to blance the shade, so it not going to tip over, when you go tall in a column, if it's hollow as this one.

As said great piece. keep em' coming.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline chill

• copper
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:15:37 AM »
Hi David, thanks for the kind comments, yes Mark is a great guy, has taught me loads about turning,design and concept, we have become good friends, might just have to do some hollow forms, the shade is on and it balances very well, no sign of tipping which is a relief
Cheers Chris

Offline chill

• copper
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »
Hi Mark, Thanks for the kind words, the coffee pot is always on :) see you soon
Cheers Chris