Author Topic: Playing With Resin  (Read 6052 times)

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Playing With Resin
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »

Due to the many Hazards of using Resin Les.... I do not want to go into details .... But the main problem with
   catalyst type resins is the heat build up on larger volumes.
   Regards Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 12:01:51 AM »
These are great as always and as always I never expect anything else from you guys.

I played with resins quite a bit but have had many problems from the heat built up, I don't know if the pieces I was trying to cased were to big.

Did you do these as a solid lump? and did you build up the resin letting the first part nearly set then ad more and so on or if there another trick to make it set as a solid block without soft spots??

All the best

Ed

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 08:46:59 PM »

Yes Ed.. They were cast in one go and  I have a bucket full of failures to prove it......All the pieces on this thread were
   the trials I was doing on different additives .. colours .. woods.. etc... that being the reason why  I was using the cheapest
   Resin.

Any one wanting to have a go at resins will need to spend at least £I,000 to set up from scratch... Vac Chamber
  Pressure pot etcetera .. and the perseverance to try and solve every problem that comes up and there are a heck of a lot of them.
  I love problem solving & I think I`m quite good at it , but some of them had me stumped for a while. You would need
  to sell a heck of a lot of them to get your money back in a very limited market. So in conclusion after knowing all the
  work that goes into making them. George Watkins does not over charge for is excellent blanks. In the long run it will work
  out a lot cheaper to get them from him .
  Regards Tony

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 05:31:07 AM »
Hi Tony

I've got the pots and gallons of different types of resins I spent a month at it, then my barn took over, but I will be returning to it in the near future :)

All the best

Ed

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 07:44:10 AM »
Thank you so much for saying this Tony, i get dozens of emails asking about resin and i used to tell them about the cost and steep learning curve... but i think they just thought i was laying it on thick to try and sell my blanks.

Yes Ed.. They were cast in one go and  I have a bucket full of failures to prove it......All the pieces on this thread were
   the trials I was doing on different additives .. colours .. woods.. etc... that being the reason why  I was using the cheapest
   Resin.

Any one wanting to have a go at resins will need to spend at least £I,000 to set up from scratch... Vac Chamber
  Pressure pot etcetera .. and the perseverance to try and solve every problem that comes up and there are a heck of a lot of them.
  I love problem solving & I think I`m quite good at it , but some of them had me stumped for a while. You would need
  to sell a heck of a lot of them to get your money back in a very limited market. So in conclusion after knowing all the
  work that goes into making them. George Watkins does not over charge for is excellent blanks. In the long run it will work
  out a lot cheaper to get them from him .
  Regards Tony

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »

Good Luck with your experiments Ed........My work top is now 1" thick with resin and I have  to done away with the
       Bucket and got a Dustbin.
        Regards Tony

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 03:40:57 PM »

We went to Daventry Show the other week George.......Saw some of your blanks turned by Guy Ravine.... one pearlescent
    Hybrid was absolutely stunning. I would have bought it as a blank in a flash. No insult directed at Guy  Who had made
    a superb box out of it.
    Regards Tony

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 10:47:42 PM »
Went well past the dustbin stage last year upgraded to a Biffer :)

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 08:59:09 PM »
I will be ordering 5 litres of resin next week mainly for pen blanks but I have some wood set aside already to have a go at hybrid blanks. They are very dry as I put them in the airing cupboard(Yes I got permission to put them there).
I just hope mine are half as good as yours and George's.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 09:34:05 PM »

Have Fun  Derek..... But I   Don't think 5 litres is enough.  :) :) :)
    Regards Tony