Author Topic: Wood ID help  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Wood ID help
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:24:45 AM »
Can anyone offer a species to the timber shown? It appears to have what only can be described as "Coal" in the inclusions and may be a burl of some sort. it turned well and took a good finish but I cannot identify the type of wood. Any suggestions?

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Wood ID help
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
Here's a pic of what I think is the same wood. I was told by a reliable source in Australia that this is gimlet burr (eucalyptus salubris). The black "coal" is resin deposits. I still have a few pieces of this in my wood store waiting for me to turn them!

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 12:11:31 PM »
Thanks Paul, looks like a good match and the resinous substance adds to the ID.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05:34 PM »
I can tell you it's an Australian Burr (Burl) but which one I don't know.

We'd need someone like Hughie to help us here.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ColWA

• iron
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 02:31:24 AM »
G'day Lazarus,

I would say it is toss-up between Salmon Gum Burl & Gimlet burl. they are very similar.

I would suggest as the guy above says....Gimlet burl

Col

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »
http://australianburls.com/AustralianBurls/Gimlet%20Burls/GimletBurlsCurrentInventory.htm

Crikey, I just found some prices on the Gimlet Burls, and yes I think this is a positive ID.

S.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »
Can anyone offer a species to the timber shown? It appears to have what only can be described as "Coal" in the inclusions and may be a burl of some sort. it turned well and took a good finish but I cannot identify the type of wood. Any suggestions?

Stuart

OK this one similar to several burls/burrs. It looks like resinous eucalyptus burl from Tasmania , except for its edge which throws me a bit. What I can do is send one of images to mate of mine who is a bit of an authority on burls and is my  go-to-guru :)
Those mentioned may be it , but if they are then is a little different to the standard, which only adds to the confusion.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
http://australianburls.com/AustralianBurls/Gimlet%20Burls/GimletBurlsCurrentInventory.htm

Crikey, I just found some prices on the Gimlet Burls, and yes I think this is a positive ID.

S.

Thats a US site and they have some really good stock. But at horrendous US prices, sorry.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »
Hughie, feel free to send to your Guru  ;)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 07:55:35 PM »
OK this has become a bit of a mystery. Due to mainly the resin veins and it deep colour. I have put it around a few people here and the answers are mixed and varied.
When you have resinous Burrs with a rich colour as this one has there are many species that produce very similar looking burls and it becomes hard pin point origin. So usually have to look at all aspect of the Burr ie outer skin, sap thickness colour what apart of the country and so on.
So the suggestions to date are as follows:- Resinous Eucalyptus Burl from Tasmania, Redgum, Gray gum , plus your own suggestions although I doubt very much Salmon Gum. The Eucalyptus trees can all produce something like this and they are generally soft to turn and very porous. Given also that we have around 300 species of Eucalyptus as well, it does become a bit of a challenge.

Often we buy or obtain burls from the actually collector and the location can play a large part in the ID. But then there no real clear definition of burls here ie I have been told there is no Brown Mallee only white or red, well all my Mallee is most assuredly brown in colour and my coloured vision is perfect. This I know as its been tested several times, so go figure.

So at the end of the day you can call it what you want :) Eucalypti Mysterium Silva Australis  a fairly common timber here burls are rich in colour, variegated by resin veins. Attractive and easy to turn with a striking appearance when finished in either matt or gloss.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 12:14:47 AM »

i call it, beautiful...

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 08:13:41 AM »
Resinous Eucalyptus Burl it is then.

Many thanks for the help.

S.