Author Topic: Union Shortbed Lathe  (Read 2541 times)

Offline paulkane1

• iron
Union Shortbed Lathe
« on: May 22, 2016, 03:07:05 PM »
Could someone give me some advise on this issue.I have a Gradute Lathe,on the Spindle there are 4 Pully Wheels,but,on the Motor Pully Wheels ,there are only 3 wheels?A school of thought ,says,that a Wheel was taken off,some Gradute Lathes,so,that the speed,could be reduced ,as these Lathes were put into schools,etc,for safety reasons?I would like to bring this lathe up to its maximum speed,can I buy a extra wheel to put on ,and,how is it done?what is the procedure ,and,where can I get the necessary parts?.

Paul

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Union Shortbed Lathe
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:08:27 PM »
I have a graduate and I have just looked and there are 4 top and bottom .Which one is missing on yours

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline paulkane1

• iron
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 04:27:52 PM »
Just checked, Pulley Wheel missing at the bottom,were motor is.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 05:03:05 PM »
Paul just Google Union graduate parts and you come up with 2 or 3 companies that deal in these bits. I have dealt with them many times and none of them have let me down.
Also , depending on your skill as a turner you could always make your own.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 06:00:39 PM »
If you check out lathes.co.uk, you'll find a couple of photos of the original pulley system.
Les
http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrisonwood/index.html
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline pink

• iron
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 06:24:05 PM »
Hi
Also be aware that the pulley casting can come in different spindle sizes so check that any replacement will fit your spindle. The pulley wheel has a keyway so not so easy to adapt if it dos not fit. Found this out when I had to change mine.
Hope that helps
Sally

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 07:17:27 PM »
Hi Paul,
Just a thought, but I may be completely wrong, as I don't have any experience with Union Graduates (apart from using one at school, a LONG time ago). Is your lathe fitted with electronic variable speed control? If so, it may be that the replacement motor was longer than the original and a shorter, 3 step pulley fitted. In which case a 4 step pulley couldn't be fitted.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline paulkane1

• iron
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 07:40:14 PM »
It has variable speed control,It could be the size of the motor,as to why there is a pulley wheel short.