Author Topic: Tuition ??  (Read 5411 times)

Jacktownhill

Tuition ??
« on: October 05, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
I've been turning now & strictly as a Hobby, for some 7 years.

During that time & largely self taught. I have graduated from a fairly basic Record Power Lathe, onto a Nova DVR.

However, I recently fell across a barely used VB36 & a whole host of accessories. I purchased the lot & more or less expected my previous knowledge to see me into the full workings of the new equipment.

After a few attempts & with only limited success. I'd like to find some specific tuition on the VB36 Machine?? Can anyone point me to a patient Tutor Please ??

I'd quite like to have the lessons on my own machine - But fully understand the logistical difficulties involved - Still if there's any tuition within reasonable distance of the Welsh Herefordshire area PLEASE let me know??

Jack

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Tuition ??
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »
Hi Jack,    If you try Hegner's site http://www.hegner.co.uk/ ...  you may find information, if not, they had a DVD on the VB 36,  I got one for the HDB 200 at Yandles show one year, it's for anyone interested in buying one really, but it shows the lathe in action, as well as making something, the VB's could explain much the same as to what can be done an how.

Cheers.        David
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:04:01 PM by woodndesign »
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:37:03 PM »
Hello Jack,

If Roger still owned the company he'd have probably given you some help personally. From what I hear the new owners are less than forthcoming with individual owners, having interests elsewhere in the school sector. So this leaves you with the task of locating a tutor who happens to own a VB. Two that spring to mind are Tony Walton (Suffolk), Tracy Owen (Cheshire), but I'm certain there are many more.

Is it the machine itself that you require tuition for, or turning? I don't quite understand why the machine should present use problems. Aside from the odd faceplate fixings and the sliding support arm I can't think of anything about it that would present you with problems.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »
Another one in a different area is Frans Brown http://www.fransbrown.co.uk/ , Gloucester area
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Jacktownhill

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
Hi All - Thanks for that steerage - The pointers are well noted.

Andy - I bought such a lot of accessories including Bowl Savers - Off Set Jigs - Weight Balancing Systems - & a Whole lot of Jigs, Jaws etc .

Frankly I'm probably a bit overwhelmed with it all & as such, have lost a lot of workshop enthusiasm.

Was hoping for a bit of Help & reinvigoration to get back into the Workshop & start turning this huge pile of wood that also came with the gear.

I guess through this Forum was hoping to locate a Locally based VB36 Owner ??

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »
In that case you'll need to tell us where you are in the country.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Jacktownhill

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
Hi again,

My apologies for a most basic mistake. My own familiarity breeding contempt !!

I live in Mid Wales on more or less on Wales / Hereford border.

However, totally mobile & unrestricted by mileage ??

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
You could try John Bennison, he's not too far from you. His contact details can be found here http://www.cotswold-craftsmen.org/Cotswolds-Craftsmen-members.htm

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »
Another way out of your probs, Jack, might be hide everything you don't recognise and get on with exploring the machine itself. The rest of the stuff can then be rescued and played with at some later date. Trying to master all your new toys in one go might leave you overwhelmed and unable to concentrate on any one of them.
Just a thought ;D
Brian

Jacktownhill

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 02:52:14 PM »
Hi Brian,

Your posting just about hit's my nail firmly on it's head - Just thought a day or two with a Pro might help me kill those gremlin's - - Jack

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »

Jack, Brian may have sumed it up,  as it's more as to master some of the kit with it, can you google or u'tube for any demo's which may have been done, some manufacture show as to how their tools work  :o ...   :-[ ...    sure I'd seen a bowl saver used somewhere, an not at a show.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''