Author Topic: Need a new lathe  (Read 8194 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Need a new lathe
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
Guy's I'm looking for a bit of a lead here.

My old Avon Tyme has just given up the ghost with switch gear failure. I know I could have fixed it but I'd been meaning to replace it and buy myself something with more 'Oomph'.

I've sort of set my eye on the Axminster AWVSWL1200 Woodturning Lathe. Variable speed, brushless 2 HP motor etc.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-awvswl1200-woodturning-lathe-prod781099/.

The reviews on the Axminster site look good ... but...

I'm asking if anyone has any experience with the beast and/or knows anyone with one and can give me anything I should know.

Or should I be looking at another lathe in the same £1000 price bracket.

Any and all advice gratefully received.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
Re: Need a new lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »
A number of members on a couple of other forums have them and all have reported that they are very happy with them.

From what I understand of it it is a slightlly smaller Axminster version of the jet/powermatic, but I could be wrong.

john

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »
I used one late last year at a club. They'd only recently bought it and I found it to be a very good machine. Plenty of power and torque, and a good solid machine. I'd like one as a replacement for my old M330 that I use as a student lathe. I think it'd knock the socks off a cub - working or not.

happy turning

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 06:55:40 PM »
I too had seen the report of the  new lathe ...  AWVSWL1200 .. on another forum as well and how good a lathe it was for the price, how , over time it has faired would be interesting to follow up.

I'd found at the the time reference to Laguna Lahtes ...  http://www.lagunatools.com/lathes... an the same model is in their range, it is interesting to see the video and what they have to say,   I have  liked what they have said, an should I need a replacement it's been on my list, at the price for what it offers, from AX it's likely to be out of China, as most all lathes are today, so as I found the wife's M900, a few rough and sharp edges an a burr on the thread, other than that a fine running little lathe, but not as the 1200.

So other that any one having a bad report, it's should make a nice replacement, will watch for the out come as to how you go.

Cheers,  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 07:20:08 PM »
I have the Axminster 950 Lathe it has served me well over the last 8 years no complaints,I also have given some thought to changing to the AWVSWL1200 Lathe my problem is all of my Chucks (5) plus face plates etc. have a 1" 8tpi thread the 1200 has a spindle thread of M33 x 3.5 So there would be added costs in changing the thread inserts or a Spindle Adapter but that brings the Chuck further out from the Headstock Bearings.Regards John 
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:59:07 PM »
So I finally put the pennies together for the AWVSWL 1200 and ring Axminster to order it. Nice lady at the other end says 'I'm sorry, we've discontinued that lathe!'

What?

Well that explains the reduced cost in their last catalogue, clearing stock.

Then the good news, they will be restocking it with a better motor (Korean not Chinese) and new Switch and Motor control gear (I think she said the same as on the JETs) so woohoo.

But... (and don't you hate but's...) the cost will be £1140 and not in stock until April.

Well, I've got the time to save the extra at least, but I'm really missing workshop time and making things... Ah well!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »
Whats going on at Axminster as I stated on a previous posting I wanted a K10 100mm chuck no stock available until 3rd week in March
so I tried Mounting Jaws Not in Stock, I have always been pleased with Axminsters delivery and service whats going wrong come on Axminster get your fingers out :) :) Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:01:24 AM »
Hi Dr4g,

At this moment Fri 17th Ax has the 1200 re-listed (2nd page) and at the £834.95 and ready for dispatch, so don't delay and good luck.    ;D ..........

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
Hi Dr4g,

At this moment Fri 17th Ax has the 1200 re-listed (2nd page) and at the £834.95 and ready for dispatch, so don't delay and good luck.    ;D ..........

David

David,

many thanks for bringing that to my attention, I'm tempted and if I had not been told about the up-rated version which has me even more tempted I'd have been there like a shot. Therefore I'm prepared to wait out for them to arrive in-stock. Also by then we will be in our new home and I'll not need to have to move it myself.

I'm short a lathe myself but one of the Bristol club members and I get together and make couple of bags of shavings most weeks, so I'm not suffering too much with withdrawal symptoms!