Author Topic: How To Read Lathe Speed?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline paulkane1

• iron
How To Read Lathe Speed?
« on: May 23, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
I have a Union Gradute Lathe,with a controlled Speed Inverter,but,no Digital Readout.I would like to know what speed my lathe is turning,is there any reasonably priced tools on the market,that can do this for me?Something that involves ,not to much wiring up ,to get it going,or,preferably ,a piece of kit ,that can give you a digital readout,with no connecting to do,if that is possible?.

Yours kindly Paul.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: How To Read Lathe Speed?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:03:43 PM »
Just search for digital tachometer on the web, there are plenty available for not much money. Most of the non-contact types work on putting a reflective strip on whatever is rotating so you could put that on your handwheel. If it's already shiny, put a black tape strip on instead!

Once you get the feel for what speed you are using, you will probably put the tacho in the cupboard and forget about it!

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: How To Read Lathe Speed?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »
I think Paul is right, it is more about feel than the actual speed the work is revolving at. Personally I always turn as fast as I safely can, better finish, better cutting etc. My VB has a speed guide depending what pulleys are utilized, but I have never known or cared at the exact RPM. You may dial in a "recommended" speed which may or may not suit the work in progress, trust your judgment and instincts, but be safe.........
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads