Author Topic: Burnishing Cream  (Read 4412 times)

Offline yew turn

• iron
Burnishing Cream
« on: April 24, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
I used burnishing cream for the first time today, I was using it on a bowl which I had applied chestnut sanding sealer & then two coats of chestnut satin lacquer, I then applied chestnut burnishing cream with the lathe running as per the instructions on the bottle, when I tried to burnish the bowl the cream went hard & lumpy & caused scratches resulting in me having to take it back to bare wood.
I have two things to ask, can you use it on satin lacquer, as I noticed on the bottle it doesn't mention satin lacquer, and if anyone could give me any tips for using the burnishing cream I would be grateful. 

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Burnishing Cream
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 01:08:11 AM »
First question - why are you trying to burnish satin lacquer? The burnishing process is intended to give more shine so if that is what was intended, why not use gloss lacquer?
Second question - how long did you allow the lacquer to cure before burnishing? If you don't give it a day or two, it's still too soft and will drag if you buff or burnish it.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:16:26 AM »
Paul's reply stands. In addition: did you shake the bottle with the cream? This is essentially a very fine abrasive suspended in a liquid, and it has a tendency to separate, i.e. you get all the abrasive at the bottom and all the liquid at the top. Unless you shake the bottle vigorously, you won't get any abrasive onto the workpiece, and in consequence no burnishing takes place.
Burnishing takes a bit of practice and experience. I would suggest that you need way more than two layers of lacquer, at least 4 or 5. And your surface underneath has to be pretty spotless, every single little scratch will show up unless you have plenty of lacquer on top.
Yes, you can use it on satin lacquer, and I've seen at least one professional turner who claims it works better on satin than on gloss. Haven't noticed a difference myself, but I don't do a lot of burnishing.

Offline yew turn

• iron
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:40:35 PM »
Many thanks Paul & Fuzzyturns for your replies.

To answer your question Paul, I was following a project which was in the woodturning magazine which stated to use satin lacquer and allow to dry for 40 minutes and then burnish (though I left it an hour before burnishing).  Next time I will leave it for a day or two.

Fuzzyturns though it doesn't state on the bottle to shake it - I did, to be on the safe side.  I think the problem was as Paul stated the lacquer had not hardened off enough.  As you mentioned it takes a lot of practise.

Offline dubturner

• copper
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »

Hi Yew Turn
I burnish acrylic satin lacquer. The shine obtained is I think much nicer than just using a gloss lacquer - its more of a "wet look" shine. I learned it from Nick Arnull who uses it frequently.
I leave the lacquer to dry for at least a day before using the burnishing cream (Chestnut). I put it on while the wood is not moving, then I turn the lathe on at a relatively slow speed and start the process. At first you will hear the cloth almost sound like it is abrading the piece. I top up my cloth when I feel the first sign of "drag". Gradually I speed up the lathe and keep rubbing and as the shine appears I immediately change to a clean cloth to finish.
It takes a bit of practice but it is worth persevering as the finish obtained is superb.
Good luck
Pat

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 10:25:01 AM »
I used burnishing cream for the first time today, I was using it on a bowl which I had applied chestnut sanding sealer & then two coats of chestnut satin lacquer, I then applied chestnut burnishing cream with the lathe running as per the instructions on the bottle, when I tried to burnish the bowl the cream went hard & lumpy & caused scratches resulting in me having to take it back to bare wood.
I have two things to ask, can you use it on satin lacquer, as I noticed on the bottle it doesn't mention satin lacquer, and if anyone could give me any tips for using the burnishing cream I would be grateful.

If you are unhappy with the results from a Chestnut products, as well as seeking advice here, may I suggest that you drop a line to Terry Smart at Chestnut and see what he suggests?

He's been to our club and is invariably very helpful.

MC

Offline yew turn

• iron
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »
Hi Pat, many thanks for your advice, very much appreciated, I will give it a try!!

Offline yew turn

• iron
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 04:23:56 PM »
Hi MCB, many thanks for your suggestion, I have met Terry several times at Yandles Woodworking Shows and I have also found him to be very helpful.