Author Topic: I'm new to wood turning and need help  (Read 3316 times)

adam robz

I'm new to wood turning and need help
« on: April 07, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »
Hello everyone I have just bought a lathe  last week .I am really struggling to get the wood smooth some of the stuff I turned  looks like it's been cut with a chainsaw !!!  why is this ?  I made a haney dipper and with a bit of sanding it was ok

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: I'm new to wood turning and need help
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »

Hello Adam,
                       Welcome to the AWGB Forum  the best way is to have a couple of starter lessons also join a woodturning club you will get plenty of help and advice from members there, you did not say where in the country you are located then forum members will certainly be able to advise you of the nearest club to you but you could look this up on the AWGB web site

Regards John
John Smith

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 10:01:42 AM »
Good advice from John. There are any number of reasons why you are getting the results you mention and any advice we can give on here may not be appropriate. At least let us knpow what tools you are using etc.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 12:44:57 PM »
Adam,

the best advice has been given, take a lesson to learn how to present the tools to the wood and join a club, however...

If you tell us where you live (town not full address) we will be able to direct you to the nearest club, that or you can look to the AWGB Main web page and in the menus there is a full list of AWGB Clubs and affiliated clubs.

As to why you work looks like it was attacked by a chainsaw, it is down to the presentation of the tool to the wood. If you've watched certain YouTube videos, the turner probably used a ceramic cutting (scraping) tool, and if you've tried to use a real tool in the same way, it will tear the timber badly. I'll also say that if you have one of those £20 to £30 pound sets of tools, you are doing yourself no favours.

Turning is not something you can learn overnight, tool presentation, and other techniques can be show and taught, but it will take practice to do it naturally, so don't expect fantastic results from your first turnings.

The good news is it really does not take long to start to make reasonable items and if you stay with us in this forum, we will help you learn and improve through constructive feedback, so,

Welcome to the forum and when you are ready, please post something you've made.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

adam robz

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 05:36:45 PM »
Thank you for the advice everybody I live in County Durham I'll look round for some clubs so I can get some lessons

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 06:06:35 PM »
hi Adam
 welcome you live in the area of Andy hall so have a look at his turning club.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »
Hi Adam

Have a look at the Clubs tab on the AWGB website - www.awgb.co.uk - from memory Wear Valley is nearest to you.

Cheers Dave

adam robz

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 11:16:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice I've been in touch with a club in the wear valley and I'll be paying them a visit in the near future  :)