Author Topic: Oak Earring Stand  (Read 8675 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
Oak Earring Stand
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:16:14 AM »
Well, you all make these and I didn't intend to video this sort of thing as all turners have seen and make these. There is little that you have not already seen but after several requests, against my better judgement I have videoed it. I, like most have made these for a long time. I have already had a reasonable response to it and for a change comments are mainly about my indexing jig not my skew work.   :)  I hope you get something out of it and as always your comments or questions are welcomed.
Hope you enjoy and sorry it's not very original.
http://youtu.be/rQECBmRcVw8

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: Oak Earring Stand
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:28:02 AM »
Another great video Steve, and I think the drilling jig is brilliant - got me thinking now!

Thanks for posting

Cheers Dave

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:41:47 PM »

Steve,
             Once again thank you for sharing this video with us the skill you have is to be admired and as Dave commented what a great idea for an indexing drilling jig.
                                      Regards John
John Smith

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »
I enjoywatching your videos as you seem to work similar to me albeit with better results LOL. Nice to see someone else using a skew for more than just 'planing' and not measuring everything all time. If I live long enough I might get as quick and good as you.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 08:01:57 PM »
Steve,

just sat captivated watching you at your work again.

The drilling jig has been mentioned, an ingenious design that I can see will find itself into a workshop or two.

I can see how your 35 years at the lathe has given you speed and accuracy, but it's the shapes you create, do you hold them in your head, do you see them or do you work out a drawing or sketch and then develop from there. I think I may have asked this before, but you create such classic shapes with such ease.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:14:56 PM »
Thank you all  for your lovely comments, it makes it worth sharing when others enjoy the video and all the better if people pick up a few tips.
Bryan, I have turned many of these so don't need a drawing it is in my head. When I design a new shape I tend to just go with the flow and see what happens as I visualize it in my head. I have never drawn a shape before turning it but do take measurments and make a sketch after turning something if I intend to make them again.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 07:44:02 AM »
pure skill - thank you so much for sharing, steve
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 02:24:10 PM »
Steve as always a very good video on how you work and thankyou for posting it. I would like to remind our members that Steve has 35 years experience behind him and the AWGB does not advocate those with less experience using cloth or dusters to polish with whilst the lathe is rotating, the use of a safety cloth or kitchen roll is a safer option, (for the next 35 years or so).
From your friendly H&S co-ordinator. ;)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 04:04:48 PM »
Thanks Steve, John good point and I will accept a smack on the back of the hand, you know I would be a terrible teacher and must try harder to remember who watches my videos. I forget and just video what I do when I should be more aware of the type of people watching. Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 04:38:31 PM »
It is my experience that if a cloth is held in the correct way and NOT wrapped round hand or fingers then there should not be a problem

Fred
www.orchard-Woodturners.org.uk

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 09:12:55 PM »
It is my experience that if a cloth is held in the correct way and NOT wrapped round hand or fingers then there should not be a problem

Fred
www.orchard-Woodturners.org.uk
Fred the clue is in your words "that there should notbe a problem" unfortunately for some less experienced or even some less careful it could be a problem and that is what health and safety is all about, minimising the risk. There is also a difference between someone like Steve who turns every day and those that are lucky to turn once a month.

Offline philstevenson

• copper
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 10:21:25 PM »
... the AWGB does not advocate those with less experience using cloth or dusters to polish with whilst the lathe is rotating, the use of a safety cloth or kitchen roll is a safer option,
I agree with the caveat about using a cloth for polishing - it's a question of personal choice and hopefully everyone is aware of the potential risks - but is it really officially not advocated by the AWGB? I wasn't aware the AWGB had a list of dos and don'ts??

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »
Without going through it to check I am sure in the Let's turn DVD it is spoken of. Of course I do stand to be corrected on that. However as an association we are not allowed to say you can do this and cannot do that and we never be able to enforce it anyway. But what we can do is guide our members and those that are not but visit our forum anyway to what is deemed to be best practice.
      The use of the word advocate is used in the context of favour, support or champion neither of which we do.

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »
Steve I have to say that I  too am impressed with the drilling jig,I have now made one with different disks to give different numbers of teeth. It works a treat on the pillar drill and I have made another disk to fit over a faceplate on the lathe (a graduate) so that I have a better indexing system than I had originally. When I put this in the book I will give you full credit for it.  :D :D

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 06:34:01 PM »
Thanks John, I am pleased you found the video useful.