Author Topic: Bowl roughing  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Bowl roughing
« on: March 04, 2016, 02:19:37 PM »
Hi all

It has been a while since I posted anything so thought I would post this short video of me roughing out a few bowls in wet Beech. Just trying to get back into my video software and on recent travels I was asked how I rough out bowls so this demonstration is so people see how 'I' do it. Not the only way just my way, sure there is a song in there somewhere :)

Anyway, hopefully you will enjoy it.

Roughing out bowls Video

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Bowl roughing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 04:05:39 PM »
A bit slow. ::) ::) ::)

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 04:09:08 PM »
A bit slow. ::) ::) ::)

Regards George

ha ha always about speed and not quality with you isn't it  :)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 05:19:17 PM »
Two questions, Mark...
1)....have you done that before? ;)
2)....what's the background music - I'm sure that the last time I heard that it was on  something xxx-rated that I bought in Amsterdam? :o

Les

Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 05:35:36 PM »
Two questions, Mark...
1)....have you done that before? ;)
2)....what's the background music - I'm sure that the last time I heard that it was on  something xxx-rated that I bought in Amsterdam? :o

Les

Lol, a few times

Funny you should say that, Amsterdam   :) :) I promised I wouldn't tell as I got a discount for, nah I am going to leave it there as this is an open forum   :) :) It is actually from Royalty free stock music.

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:33 PM »
I love watching this, thanks Mark for sharing, you make it look easy which is always a sign of a skilled tradesman.
It's what we all love, making shavings without having to worry too much about accuracy.
It makes me jealous watching, as it's very rare I turn wet timber and when I do it is so therapuetic.
How do you dry it? as we all seem to have slightly different methods.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 10:05:08 AM »
Hi Steve

Thank you very much. I love turning these bowls and I would say that 98 % of all my work is processed and turned from wet wood for seasoning and a large percentage now being turned to finish size/thin wall. Like you I find turning wet wood a therapeutic and slowly over the years my turning has evolved in this direction more and more.

One of the main reasons for this is the price of timber for my style of turning, bowls, hollow forms vases etc, also the sizes in which this is available.

Seasoning of my work is done in two ways. For batch runs of bowls I either place them in a large 120 L dustbin liners. These are turned out every day or so until the moisture that collects on the inside of the walls is no longer evident. The bowls are then stacked and sticked in the roof section of my workshop which is cool and draft free, until dry, then finish turned.

For the items turned to finish in one go these have an equal wall thickness of 3-6 mm depending on the project, oiled heavily with lemon oil to slow down the rate of moisture loss and stacked on the shelves in my workshop until dry, after which I re-oil and buff. This takes around 2 -3 weeks to season the pieces ready for sale.

Thank again for your comments, much appreciated.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 07:30:49 PM »
Mark,

thanks for posting the link to your video.

Of course I watched you demonstrate many times, but that is always punctuated with you stopping to explain what your doing and offering advice.

This is the first time I've seen you turning at working speed, it's really very different, much bigger cuts with the shavings really flying, it's much more revealing technique.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
Mark,

thanks for posting the link to your video.

Of course I watched you demonstrate many times, but that is always punctuated with you stopping to explain what your doing and offering advice.

This is the first time I've seen you turning at working speed, it's really very different, much bigger cuts with the shavings really flying, it's much more revealing technique.

Hi Brian

Thanks for your comments. As you highlight when demonstrating it is important that the process is explained but in my own workshop I can really let rip which would not be appropriate at a demo for obvious reasons.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and hope to catch up some time. May be at Yandles.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »
Hi Mark, just watching your videos - they are very informative - much appreciated, steve
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 06:39:48 AM »
Thank you Steve I am pleased you find them interesting.