Author Topic: Woodcut CBN wheel from Axminster  (Read 5197 times)

Offline philstevenson

• copper
Woodcut CBN wheel from Axminster
« on: February 23, 2016, 06:39:31 PM »
Has anyone any experience of this wheel? Is there a good reason it is £40 cheaper than the only other one I can locate (Toolpost)? Does it have a CBN coating on the side of the wheel as well as the face that's not apparent on the photos on Axm website?
Thanks in advance ladies and gents for any feedback.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Woodcut CBN wheel from Axminster
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »
I have been using a CBN wheel for a number of years now and it is one of the best buys I have ever made.it sounds like a real bargain to me.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »
I just looked at the Axminster site and they show an image of each side of the CBN wheel, and neither side is coated.

I agree with George, the  CBN wheels are brilliant....they don't result in the heat build-up that conventional wheels can cause, mine are really efficient, a quick clean grind and I use the side of the wheel regularly for a fine touch-up of my skew and 3mm parter.

I must admit that I'd pay a little extra to have the side coated!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »
I have never used the side of mine I use the Sorby Pro edge for Skews and anything I want a flat grind on

Regards George

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:14:12 AM »
I have just looked at the Axminster site and they only do 180 g which is OK but I see the only shaft size is 15mm so you need to make sure that will fit your grinder

Regards George

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 12:24:43 PM »
Phil....if you have any problems with the Axminster wheel, e.g. grit/bore/side coating, have a word with Peter Child in Essex (01787 237291), he will supply and fit bushes to his wheels, so that they fit your machine, if you need it, but if the Axminster wheel fits your needs, it looks like a good buy.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline philstevenson

• copper
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
George / Les, thanks so much for your feedback. Yes it looks on the pictures like there is no side coating but I'll check with Axminster first - I'll be at their turning event at Nuneaton in a couple of weeks so I can check it out for myself if need be. The benefits of a CBN wheel are a no brainer and ideally I'd like the little bit of side coating but we'll see . I'd go for the 40mm wide wheel which is bored for the Creusen 15mm; mine is 12.7 but a bush shouldn't be a problem for a semi competent turner.. Well, shouldn't it?!!
Thanks again.

Offline Doofusme

• iron
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 11:15:21 AM »
I have one of the Axminster wheels and can confirm it has no side coating, but it is very good.
I have had it about 6-9 months and sharpened quite a few tools on it, I use it on a Creusen grinder/

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 06:24:27 PM »
The CBN ewheels are great - i got one from Toolpost a few yrs ago and have used it 1000's of times for my work - i have been thinking i might get another for stock just incase anything happens to this one.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 05:41:59 PM »
I have one of the Axminster wheels and can confirm it has no side coating, but it is very good.

I suppose that is how they keep the price down.
I never use the side so it would suit me.

Regards George

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 11:06:44 PM »
I  use the side of the wheel to put an edge on the sides of my scraper (unconventional I know) and to grind various odd tools so would want it coated unless you have other sharpening systems like George. I put a hollow grind on my skew so would not need it for that. Probably worth paying the extra if your budget will stretch.