Author Topic: Getting the Bark from Burr's  (Read 5031 times)

Jacktownhill

Getting the Bark from Burr's
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »
Hardly a new topic to anyone who's been following John Taylors Burr Clocks.

But has anyone discovered a good way to remove the Bark from a serious Burr??

Might Sand Blasting work ??

Jack

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
Re: Getting the Bark from Burr's
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:55:26 AM »
Here is Australia the most common method is  high pressure water. If you have amate who drive a long distance truck a lot these guys have high pressure pumps to clean the truck.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:08:33 AM »
Hello Jack

I have done this a  couple of times by just patiently chipping away with a screwdriver, a sort of point tool ground from an old screwdriver and occasionally a wire brush. Sand blasting might work but would damage (texture) the burr once the bark came off.

I like the idea of high pressure water (they use that on archaeological digs don't they?) - I have one of those Karcher systems and I'll give it a try next time I have a burr to clean up.

Cheers Dave

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »
If I get a burr which is very rare these days, and I want to take the bark off I use a rotary wire brush in an electric drill. You have to be careful not to cut to deep and you certainly need a face mask but it works for me.
Regards
John
BHT

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
Sorry about the delay in replying but it has been a hectic couple of weeks.   I am not an expert on wood or burrs but I have turned a lot of them over the last few years so I have had plenty of experience.   There are three main methods I use they are as follows:-

Sand Blasting
This is very effective but can be very messy so I built myself a sand blasting chamber from MDF with a sheet of Perspex for the front.    You also need a good compressor with a large storage tank to make it easy, unfortunately I only have a small compressor so it takes a bit longer because I have to wait for it to recharge often.   It works very well on thin barked burrs but you have to be careful you don’t do too much as you can easily mark and spoil the surface of the burr.

Pressure Washing
Again this can be very effective but also messy and you need a high power machine for it to be effective.   Most machines found in the home don’t really have enough power to be very effective, mine included, so I use one at the local car wash when I want to do it this way.

By Hand
This is the most effective way, especially on thick bark burrs, but also the most time consuming.   For this I use a selection of flat bladed screwdrivers, some 5/16” metal bars to rest the screwdrivers on for extra leverage, a hammer and some dental picks to get in the awkward places.   Also a pair of thick gardening gloves and a full face shield because the burrs can be very sharp once the bark is off and pieces can fly all over the place when levering them off.   The way I do it is to find a crack in the bark push the screwdriver in, sometimes with a light tap or two from the hammer then lever it off.   The edge is a good place to start as once the burr is dry it usually cracks away from the wood.   Once you are down to the wood in one place it then gets easier to continue as you can get the screwdriver in under the bark better.

I find it is easier to strip the bark once the burr is dry as on English woods the bark tends to break away from the wood when drying, but this is not always the case.   There is no definite in this but I have found Chestnut the easiest to remove but even with that I still get some pieces that wont come off.   In these cases I have found that if I put the burr out in the rain for a day or two then leave it for a few days to dry out sometimes the bark will come of then.   Once the bark is removed you quite often get a discoloration on the surface of the wood this can sometimes be removed by either pressure washing or sand blasting.

Bark on English woods tends to be a lot thicker than on imports, I have been told this is due to our climate, and don’t respond very well to pressure washing so it is best to tackle these by hand.   With Elm and Oak burrs I find that the bark is either going to fall off very easily or you just aren’t going to get it off.   With burrs from down under I have found the best way to get rid off the bark is by pressure washing.

john

Jacktownhill

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 01:06:32 PM »
I thank you all most sincerely for your most helpful advice. I guess a bit of a mixture of all methods will end up being my forte?

I do have a good friend with a professional Sand Blasting Cabinet so might be imposing my requests on him quite soon.

In the past I've simply turned the bark off  - but I did really like those Burr Clocks.

Jack

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »
Thank you John for the info on how you remove the bark looks like I have a long job to do ;)