Author Topic: Edison Swan lamp with bell jar  (Read 6368 times)

WorldOfWoodcraft

Edison Swan lamp with bell jar
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:42:55 PM »

I made a lamp/ accent lamp a little while ago which used a bell jar and had a fairly modern feel to it.
I will be returning to making accent lamps soon and think ill make the next one I make will be a little more organic and will not use the bell jar.. mainly because the bell jar is a bit expensive.

Incidentally the lamp has an inline dimmer and the new ones will have braided cord.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Edison Swan lamp with bell jar
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:05:17 PM »
Well that's different! It looks fairly well thought out and cleanly made, but are there  any issues on heat building up under the bell-glass?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »
I was worried about that myself so made this mainly as a proof of concept. I had some plans to add small fans and heat sinks if they were needed.
In a real world setting its used as an accent light rather than being on full power so the heat really isn't a factor at all. I tend to set it to a warm glow where the fillement isn't to bright to avoid hurting the eyes.

I did think about using a glass tube instead of the bell jar with would give a similar look to the old gas lamps/ live flame lamps but after using this lamp during the winter I don't think there is much need to replace one glass for another, and aesthetically i like the half capsule.

Though the glass gets warm to the touch it is a comfortable warmth (certainly less warm than my laptop gets whilst I use it on my knee), but to be fair I wouldn't recommend someone touching this part of any lamp whilst in use.

The one problem I do have I think could be fixed with slightly better electronics.  I am using an inline dimmer and though very quiet it does make a noise in use. I think the next one I make will have i touch operated dimmer, will not have the bell jar and will be made from maple and black walnut. (possibly with a brass ascent)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »
if it's nice and warm sell it as a heater.

nice work by the way.

how big is it?

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:22:44 PM »
Hello its just a touch under 8 inch

The heat from it really isn't a factor. Certainly not enough for it to be a heater. and defiantly not enough to cause any injury.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:57:14 PM »
Very nice, how about using an LED Bulb from somewhere like B&Q. Not cheap but look the similar and not the heat.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 02:28:59 PM »
I have seen some really cool new bulbs and LED's coming to market recently.
Its exciting times with things like light fiber ect becoming more affordable and easier to use.

Initially I was going to give this lamp to a friend of mine who loves dysney films with a rose bulb inside.. similar to the beauty and the beast

But I couldn't get hold of the bulb in time and liked the lamp so much i decided to keep it.

Really the heat isn't a problem at all.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 03:36:37 PM »
is it possible to put a plasma globe into a wooden base? that would look wicked in a bit of purpleheart...

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:15:31 PM »
A great idea, I've seen several things done with these bulbs, but this is the first turned one.

Good thinking.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 05:28:40 PM »
Yeh I saw a bunch which were made from plumbing supplies and just blocks of wood and thought how much more elegant the results could be. I have since making seen some bell jar ones but i think they were created for cheap rather than good.

Re making a plasma globe with purple heart base, That defiantly sounds like it should be possible.  just a case of making sure you have a place to put the circuit board.. i'm not sure if the better ones have fans and heat sinks but i suspect not. I would think it would be somewhat easy to make. though i have to admit I don't currently have much knowledge of plasma globes so would advise talking to someone who knows more about them than I do to avoid potential hazards.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »
you keep writing "defiantly" when you mean "definitely", is that predictive text doing that???

my plasma globe was one of those 6" ones from argos in about 2000. it has no fan but in my opinion doesn't generate that much heat butt then again i don't think i ever left it on for hours on end.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 11:13:34 PM »
Steve...you keep writing lower case letters, like 'i', when  you mean 'I', is that predictive text doing that? ;)

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 08:51:45 AM »
Lol I think its probably equal parts typo and dyslexia.
I spent a good minute trying to spot the difference between "defiantly" and "definitely" just then as to me they look very similar. (I had to get my computer to read it to me to eventually spot the difference.)
I'm glad you deciphered the meaning. Though something being defiantly possible does sound a little bit more impressive. Possible against all the odds.

Re plasma globe I think the best way to find out if something can be done is by giving it a go.
I would like to see what you create and hear if there were any interesting things you discovered whilst crafting.

Certainly I haven't seen a wood turned plasma globe before and think it could look very cool.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »
touche les, touche... I was never one for capital letters when the letter is correct.

phillip, i'm afraid i'm not brave enough to butcher a plasma globe as i stay away from all electrical thingy's if I can. i don't understand things like that so wouldn't know how to put it back together again once the base had been turned.

my original question of is it possible was sort of me asking "would you do it?".

if you were to tackle a project like that it would look great.

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 09:18:54 PM »
Its a cool idea. Its on my to do list