Author Topic: Flask  (Read 5429 times)

100quattro

Flask
« on: February 13, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »
Flask made of bocote/mexican rosewood with matched pierced bocote and glass inserts.

An evolution of a flask illustrated in Mark Bakers book 'Wood for Woodturners'

Thoughts/feedback please

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: Flask
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »
This is a nice piece of work.

It shows how you can see a piece by someone else and put you own style on your own work.

Philip

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:30:34 PM »
A lovely decorative object. I like the idea of the glass inserts; i've used glass in a number of pieces and it works well.

thanks for posting

Andy

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:45:11 AM »

A very nicely done piece, beautiful details, like what you've done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »
Hi Kevin, I like your flask very much indeed,it is difficult to see on the photograph, are the Glass inserts behind the pierced wood or in front of it?

I am pleased you have posted this I have found this very interesting using other mediums as well as wood. I might have a go at something like this one day. Regards John
John Smith

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 09:54:51 PM »
Hi Kevin
It looks good and I agree with everyones comments - well done
Regards
Ken

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:47:51 AM »
Did I see this at Strictly Woodturning, if not its identical in every respect thats is perfections I love it and must give this a try.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

100quattro

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
Many thanks for all your comments.

Yes, it was at Strictly Woodturning 2010 in the delegates gallery.

The piercings (2mm thick) were taped together and done at the same time to ensure that they were identical.  Although it doesn't show in the photo (and is also difficult to see with the naked eye) the internal edges of the piercings are quite 'furry'.  Need to find a way to improve on this; maybe using a faster speed on the Dremmel?

The piercings were then placed in recesses behind the 4 mm glass which was laid on a very thin bead of blu tack - have found through trial and error that this seems to absorb/allow any small movement in the wood and prevents the glass from cracking.  Cutting the glass (using cheap circular hole cutter available from DY store) is easy once you've got the hang of it.  The trick is to score one side and apply gentle pressure to the reverse before breaking out the glass.

Previous evolutions have included coloured glass which also works well - especially when displayed with backlighting.

Kevin