Author Topic: double ended floating bowl.  (Read 2639 times)

Offline wider

• gold
double ended floating bowl.
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:08:04 AM »
my first attempt at doing a double ended floating bowl. I need to refine the shape a little but getting there. may be the next one will be a 4 bowl floater. all comments welcome

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: double ended floating bowl.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the technical challenge. In fact, I wouldn't even try this. And it would seem you have some nice, even shapes and finish on it.
Having said that: I think you would do this piece a lot of good by just cleaning up the flat sides with a disc sander. And, to be honest, the result does very little for me. For turners it's more like a curio item, and for customers I don't think it's going anywhere. But that's just me.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 12:29:27 AM »
thank you for your reply. i have done several single ended floating bowls and sold all of them. this was just a try and see if it is possible to do item. i will see soon if it is going to sell as i have several fairs coming up. i just like to see if the ideas in my head are actually possible. the 4 sided bowl is next. i will sand and clean the flats to a better finish.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:31:57 AM »
I'm torn between the two of you. Like Fuzzy, the shape does nothing for me, but having said that, I think that experimentation is a good thing and if, through it, we can learn  methods of producing shapes and combinations of shapes, then that's great. Any design process involving experimentation is good, if only for the procedure rather than for the end result.
Now for the piece itself, it lacks finish. Take a look at the rim of the right hand bowl in the first picture; it's very uneven! Fuzzy is right to point out the lack of finish on the box section and I would have liked to have seen a cleaner, sharper intersection between the bowl and the box.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 11:59:38 AM »
Interesting. It could have been cut into two small bowl blanks but as this double-ended bowl it's so much more.

Again I'm not sure why the finish in the/on the bowls is so good, but the rest of the unturned wood looks 'raw'. A little more 'something' on the unfinished wood and this would be a fantastic piece of work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:41:16 PM »
I like these for being different. I do think the crispness of the join between bowl and stand could be improved and I echo those comments about the finish. I also think they would look a little bit nicer if they had raised bowl rims. Other wise I think this is a clever and different use of timber. Well done.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 09:42:08 PM »
every one that has commented on this bowl can I say thank you. I am going to correct the points that you have commented on wear I can. I will clean up the sides of the block area but as I do not think I can re mount the bowl and crisp up the transition of the bowl I will have to leave that and remember about this on the next attempt I do. I will post corrective photos when I have done this.