Author Topic: a little dip pen  (Read 4022 times)

WorldOfWoodcraft

a little dip pen
« on: January 07, 2016, 10:35:35 PM »
https://youtu.be/gKkOvDlhR9Q

Hello I haven't posted in this forum before and feel as though i have been missing out because I have been told this is where all the cool people hang out.

So I thought I would start by shearing a video I made a little while back, I think im getting better at making videos and I respond to constructive criticism with the hope of making better things and video's. So if you have any comments feel free to leave them.

Im not 100% sure the links I have made will work so I have my fingers crossed not only that I dont waste your time with dead links but also that you like my work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkOvDlhR9Q

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: a little dip pen
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum

Great little video - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers Dave

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 07:30:45 PM »
Welcome!
Good to see a dip pen for a change and I, too, enjoyed the video.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »
I'll add my welcome to you as well, and thank you for posting you video.

Unusual use for a Bowl Gouge, I've seen them used for roughing out spindles before but not normally on on such small sections of wood.

I'm not a pen maker but going back too many years I was a draftsman (pre PCs), so I have a special love of dip pens. I may have to track down those kits and make myself some.

If you want to see CA used as a finish, look up some of Ed's (Edbanger) work, he uses it on big vessels to great effect.

Bryan.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:30:42 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »
Hi

Nice to to see you joining the forum. What's your name?

Watched the video I'm like Bryan never seen someone using a bowl gouge on such a small piece, but it seems to work for you so hay who's to say whats right. I think this could come under the heading "Ask Ten Woodturners A Question"

Liked the video and like the dip pen job well done :-)

All the best

Ed

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 09:51:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum, a great first post. Always interested in seeing other turners methods.Thanks for sharing.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 10:44:10 AM »
Hi

Nice to to see you joining the forum. What's your name?

Watched the video I'm like Bryan never seen someone using a bowl gouge on such a small piece, but it seems to work for you so hay who's to say whats right. I think this could come under the heading "Ask Ten Woodturners A Question"

Liked the video and like the dip pen job well done :-)

All the best

Ed

he introduces himself as "philip bradley" in the video ed...

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 11:04:09 AM »
missed the beginning of the video

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 11:09:49 AM »
nice informative video,nice pen to,when I`m making dip pens,I don`t use brass inserts as I find the nib holder insert grips pretty well by itself,haven`t had one back so far(touch wood) and its been about 8yrs since I made the first one,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 12:21:01 AM »
Hello

Correct my name is Philip Bradley but I have been righting articles in instructables and elsewhere as World Of Woodcraft and though I don't know if the brand name is good or bad it seems a little more like habit now to carry on using it. Though I do use my real name as well.

I think the bowl gouge isn't the ideal tool to use for the job but as people have said it did work. (If i had to tell the truth my roughing gouge wasn't sharp at the time and i might have taken the lazy option of going for the bowl gouge rather than putting a fresh edge on the better tool for the job.)

I made the vid more as an instruction an though the brass isn't needed I think if someone was to work with a laminated blank and possibly with something a little less stable than the walnut I used the brass would add a little more stabilization to the work as its turned. So though its not a necessary component I think its somewhat worth including, though its very much a case of if you don't want to its not going to ruin anyone's day, and there is such a variety of methods in turning that i think it would be like finding a definitive recipe for shepherds pie.. should I add some black pudding or brass inserts ect ect.. i think its likely to be a case of what ever works for you.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 08:59:54 AM »
Hi Phillip, welcome to the forum. That pen brings back some early school days memories.  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

WorldOfWoodcraft

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:26:58 PM »