Author Topic: Can't stick, won't stick  (Read 4706 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
Can't stick, won't stick
« on: August 24, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
I've just come indoors after 'buttering' my first project with resin....Thank you Marilyn Cambell and the seminar!
The wet overlay has now been left to cure ready for further work tomorrow BUT I am already totally confident that the cling film hasn't got anything like a good enough hold on to the timber for me to be able to turn the cured resin like Marilyn did.
Is there anyone out there with a working knowledge of Brit woodworking cling films? (Marilyn was using Canadian stuff!)
Are there good and bad species?
If so which are the good ones?
The stuff I used was, of course, nicked from HER cupboard and is.... don't tell her I said so..... almost certainly a cheapo. It is called 'Aromata' (a Lidl product) and the wood is sapwood walnut, if that makes a difference.
Any and all help would be gratefully received
Tarra for now
Brian

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Can't stick, won't stick
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »
Hi Brian,I am not sure but was it not a Waxed paper Marilyn used maybe baking parchment would do.Regards John
John Smith

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the help John but I fear we are on differing wavelengths. The waxed paper was, I think, to stop the wet resin from sticking to the table etc whereas I am trying to build a resin overlay with a project-clingfilm-resin sandwich so I need the film to stick(temporarily) to both the wood and the hardening resin. ....I've just re-read that load of tosh and I reckon even I would be hard-pressed to understand it if I hadn't seen the demo ??? ???
All is not lost with 'Resinate number one', though, because I have decided that I'll be able to tape the hardened resin overlay to the project while I tidy its edges and then leave the rest of its surface in its natural state....I think.
Woodyturning is usually a relatively slow, steady rise through the various ever more adventurous techniques but Maralyn's opened a whole new direction for me....Aint it exciting, even when it doesn't quite work ;)
Tarra
Brian

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
Hi Brian, Yes we are on a different wave length the demo I saw Marilyn do was the one where she cut a blank with shapes in and then used a resin to insert a different contrasting woods one of which was bought at the auction by George Foweraker who has since turned it as a collaboration piece.Regards John
The piece I mentioned above is on Georges Blog
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:11:18 PM by John D Smith »
John Smith

Offline Lionel Pringle

• iron
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:55:59 AM »
Hi Brian,

If memory serves me right, and there is no guarantee of that, I think that Marilyn was using a film with an adhesive side to it. Having said that I have no idea where such a product could be obtained from, but it may help jog other contributors memories.
Cheers,

Lionel.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Hi Lionel,
Ain't aging a boggr?
I also remember Marilyn using one-sticky-side film but don't think that was in use during the overlay demo. Having said that I can't think what else she would have used it for! I went to three of her demos (a seminar record for me) and I am afraid it is only the very basic ideas from each that have come home with me. I suppose that's enough to start me on my own personal path though!
To bring you all up to date on 'Resinate Number One' the cling film I used did, as expected, have insufficient hold for me to scrape the hardened resin...as Maralyn had done, but I had used 'Inlace' rather than 'West System' and it had dried with a bubble-free, stone-like texture. I taped the cured overlay in place to tidy up where necessary and then left the surface natural. The completed piece, now finished all bar the glue up, is fine as a first attempt but as well as the problems mentioned I need to work on the proportion of black to exposed timber as the black resin overlay plus a rather too chunky finial takes all the glory from the exposed timber.
Next time I'm in Asdescoburies I'll lash out on some expensive cling film and see if there is a difference from the Lidl stuff. I'll let you all know what I discover.
Is there anyone else out there walking this path and wanting to exchange experiences either here or via PM?
Thanks for your time and help everyone
Brian

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
Hi All,

Just a suggestion will a fixing spray do the job.

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 06:57:46 PM »
Hello Martin
You don't say if you were at the Seminar demo(s) so I'm sorry if I'm about to teach Granny to suck eggs. The basic idea is to lay a sheild (cling film) over the required portion of the turned item, a hollow form in my case. Then to 'Butter' a layer of wet resin over the top and allow to cure. Then remount the hollow form to scrape the surface of the cured resin before removing resin/cling film from the wood for further piercing/texturing etc from the Dremel and finally supergluing the finished resin overlay back into place.
I'm not sure where a spray would would fit but ta for the thought.
I have now fired off an e-mail to Marilyn in Canada to ask for a reminder. Needless to say I'll post the result here.
Tarra again
Brian

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:05:16 PM »
Hi Bryan,

I was one of them in the orange T shirts but did not see the demo you were on about so my thoughts were as usual useless lol

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 04:50:47 PM »
Orange shirt, Martin? Not another one making a fashion statement!!!
I can't agree that relevent thoughts are ever useless because they might just trigger another in someone else's noggin.
I've re-cut my chunky finial in a desparate search for a little more elegance. Whatever the result I think Number one has taught me all the lessons it can so it is time to move onto 'Resinate Number Two'.
Tataaaaaaaaaaa ;)
Brian

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »
Hi all
Those of you following my tales of resin induced woe might be interested in the following advice received from Marilyn. She also kindly attached handouts entitled 'Guidelines for using epoxy', 'Easy inlay platter' and 'Bandsaw inlay for platters' If anyone wants a copy let me have an e-m address via PM and I will happily forward.

""""""The cling wrap is not enough in itself to hold the overlay while you turn it...... at the very least, the wrap has to be held tight with an elastic or be taped to the form. This much allows you to gently turn a small lip at the outermost edge.  Then take the overlay off,  pull the wrap from the inside and replace it onto the form and use the lip to tape it.  Then it is held fairly securely to the form for turning.  Don't forget if you want an even wall thickness for the overlay to put some holes or slots into it wherever your design allows while it is off the form.

Or, what I showed at the demo, the overlay ran over the edge and formed its own grip........ but you can't judge the thickness unless you take it off before turning.  So much of how you do this technique depends on the form your choose and your design idea for the overlay itself...... methods change accordingly but whatever works is my motto."""""

I'm also going to try a couple of stopped holes drilled into the timber below the overlay (Before 'buttering') which should make replacing the cured overlay more accurate as well as giving a mechanical drive during the turning.
All excitin stuff, aint it ::)
 Tarra
Brian