Author Topic: Pewter Supplies  (Read 7127 times)

Dave Wilcox

Pewter Supplies
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:53:31 AM »
Hi
I have done a lot of research into this and although the price fluctuates like the weather changes and charges by different companies vary considerably, I have found a good supplier at a realistic price. Here are the company details for you:

Pewter Sheet Co. Ltd.
River Lee Road
Tyseley
Birmingham
West Midlands
B11 2JG
Telephone: 0121 706 2649

Try them out and see what you think for yourself, there is no minimum order. I have no connection with the company other than I make my orders through them. I am not on commission or the like, at the end of the day the choice is yours.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: Pewter Supplies
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:50:15 AM »
Thanks for the info Dave.  I think there will be many members interested in this after Jpohn Wessels demo at the seminar.

Cheers Dave

greg miller

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »
Further to Dave Wilcox's information, I asked Simon Hope, at the Seminar, where he had bought the heated pot which John Wessels was borrowing to melt his pewter in his demo. It can be bought from www.henrykrank.com/lee.html and it's listed as a Lee production pot IV (4). Cost is around £58.00 inc delivery & VAT. It's a really useful pot because it pours from the bottom, and the 'slag' remains at the top: because of this you don't need to remove or hold back the 'slag' from the pot before pouring, as you would if you were to use a normal crucible, pouring from the top.

Kranks are a gun shop, so I assume that the pot is designed to be used to melt lead for casting bullets.

Thanks to Simon, and good to hear from you, Dave.

Greg Miller.

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
Cheers Dave,
                  I've been trawling the net looking for suppliers, now I have one.
Dave (ATCO) did you attend the demo on sheet pewter use as I missed that one and would like to know how John W fixed the sheet onto the wood.
Regards
John
BHT

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »
Hi Dave, Thanks for posting the info on the Pewter Supplier any idea of the price. Regards John
John Smith

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:34 AM »
Hi John

I did the camera for the sheet pewter and the answer is too simple - Double sided tape (good quality).  I don't know what I was expecting, something more technical but it was just double sided tape.

Cheers Atco

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:09:07 PM »
Thanks Dave,
                  even I should be able to do that then without getting in too much of a mess!
Regards
John
BHT

Dave Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 08:55:09 AM »
Hi Dave, Thanks for posting the info on the Pewter Supplier any idea of the price. Regards John
Hi John
The price varies like the weather dependant on the markets, it averages from about £25-£30 inc of VAT and P+P. The first kilo I had was around the £29, the second order was £27 (all rounded up). I would suggest if you phone the Company you will invariably speak with Chris or Sarah, tell them I said to phone as they will then be aware it is woodturning oriented and we all come from the same place so to speak.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 03:28:24 PM »
Hi Dave Thanks for the info I will give them a call they are only about 5 miles from me so I could collect if they will allow that they may be mail order only.Regards John
John Smith

greg miller

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:03:18 AM »
Hello,

I bought 2 kilos of 95/5 mix from the Pewter Sheet Company yesterday. £30.00. I am only a 10 minute drive from them and collection was no problem. The pair are very helpful, but did say that they keep very little stock, so they need to have a couple of days notice if you intend to collect, so that they can make up the order for you. You need to talk to them about the most suitable mix of pewter for your needs, if you're after casting stock. They will make up whatever mix you require and will advise you if you're not sure. What appears on their website is only part of what they produce.

A word about their website: they are having trouble with it, and some parts of it are well out of date. The contact email page doesn't work, so you're better off phoning them.

Regards all,

Greg Miller.