Author Topic: Revolutions Archive  (Read 12009 times)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Revolutions Archive
« on: December 06, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »
We have added an archive of old issues of the Revolutions newsletter to the website. At the moment the archive goes back to 2003. This may be expanded further.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: Revolutions Archive
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
Hi Paul,
I have just come across your posting that an archive of Revolutions has been created. Excellent idea! But that gives me another idea.

I am sure the cost of producing and mailing out copies of Revolutions to all AWGB members must be a significant financial load on the AWGB. How about making it an option for members to receive an electronic copy, or as I do with our club's newsletter, just send a reminder that the latest copy of Revolutions is available on the website?

I for one would actually prefer an electronic copy - easier to store, easy to access from anywhere in the world, and I can print off any pages I want to use in the workshop.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
Hi Paul,
I have just come across your posting that an archive of Revolutions has been created. Excellent idea! But that gives me another idea.

I am sure the cost of producing and mailing out copies of Revolutions to all AWGB members must be a significant financial load on the AWGB. How about making it an option for members to receive an electronic copy, or as I do with our club's newsletter, just send a reminder that the latest copy of Revolutions is available on the website?

I for one would actually prefer an electronic copy - easier to store, easy to access from anywhere in the world, and I can print off any pages I want to use in the workshop.

I'd be 100% behind that suggestion, Paul. It's a system that we use at out club (Mid Wales Woodturners) and there are a few who opt out of the digital newsletter, but the great majority accept and embrace it, which is a major financial saving for the club.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 03:34:13 PM »
I would also back this and would actually prefer an electronic version so I can blow it up big enough for me to read. ( doesn't work with PDF though )
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
Hi Graham,
I would also back this and would actually prefer an electronic version so I can blow it up big enough for me to read. ( doesn't work with PDF though )
I hadn't realised I would generate that quick feedback on my suggestion, but I notice in your comment that you say it doesn't work with PDF. I am a bit puzzled as Adobe's Acrobat reader should give you toolbar options to zoom in and out, and even choose selected scaling. Try Ctrl + to zoom in. I've just zoomed in to 6400% and each character fills the screen. Hope that helps.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »
I'm all for an electronic copy

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »
I agree to the idea of an electronic copy. Whilst not everyone would prefer it to a printed copy I would think enough would to make it worth while.

PDF should be sizeable as said Graham. Have you got Acrobat reader (free) on your computer?

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 06:03:43 PM »
I'd support the e-format as well.

Might break my heart to throw away all the old ones though.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 06:27:09 PM »
I am also in support of the electronic format. This is the 21st century, after all.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »

A good idea as long as the decision is not made by the opinions of those who post on this Forum remember we are very very small percentage of the

Membership of the AWGB and those who still wish to have a hard copy are not overlooked.

Regards John
John Smith

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 10:40:45 PM »

A good idea as long as the decision is not made by the opinions of those who post on this Forum remember we are very very small percentage of the

Membership of the AWGB and those who still wish to have a hard copy are not overlooked.

Regards John
A very good point John. As Secretary for the club and also editor of the newsletter, I was going to bring this up for discussion but it seems to be gaining that much momentum I can see me asking for a more formal response to this idea. We have two members who do not have access to the internet and receive their newsletters in printed form but that still leaves forty who get it by email. It will be interesting to see if the same goes for Revolutions. But even if only some of those opt for an electronic form, that must still save the AWGB quite a lot of money, at least I hope so. Oops! What have I started?!?!
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 10:47:04 PM »
Hi Paul,

I  prefer a paper copy that I  can read anywhere (on the tube, in bed, anywhere!).

This is  the view that I  have taken with other societies' magazines - even if the subscription for a paper copy is  higher.

To highlight the point, the website crashed while I  was trying to type this message!

I  have no problem with AWGB offering members the option to receive an electronic copy but PLEASE don't cease printing a paper version.

MCB

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 11:05:51 PM »
I'm not saying that it's for everyone but if we were able to take either a paper copy or electronic we could chose, the members that would like the electronic could save The AWGB some money.

Ed 

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 11:06:07 PM »
I very much doubt that the "website crashed". It is much more likely that your local internet provider had a momentary load spike, most likely because too many people in your neighborhood decided to watch some on-demand movies. Nevertheless. you do make a valid point. I believe this should be offered as a dual option, just like it is offered by most magazines.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 11:13:16 PM »
I very much doubt that the "website crashed". It is much more likely that your local internet provider had a momentary load spike, most likely because too many people in your neighbourhood decided to watch some on-demand movies.
[snip]

The effect was the same whatever the reason.

The site disappeared.

MCB