Author Topic: Record CL4 with a factory fitted variable speed control (0 to 10 switch) has sta  (Read 4630 times)

Offline Rich D

• iron
My Record CL4 with a factory fitted variable speed control (0 to 10 switch) has started to play up. The speed fluctuates especially on setting 3, 4 & 5.
Has any other members had or know of a likely cause?
Inside there is a small control box with 5 buttons, is this reprogrammable?

Any advice or help appreciated.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Hi Rich
I would log on to Record's website and send a message to product support.  They have always been very helpful when I have got in touch with them

Cheers Dave

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
It's probably dust in the potentiometer (the rotary 0-10 thing). Try giving it a good clean with a vacuum cleaner and turn it back and forth a few times with the lathe switched off.

If that doesn't work, contact Record.

Offline Rich D

• iron
I'll try checking the potentiometer for dust tomorrow evening, if that does not improve things I'll email record.  Thanks for the replies.  :)

Offline MCB

• gold
Try squirting contact/switch cleaner aerosol over the contact and run the potentiometer to and fro a few times.

If you don't have that, try iso-propyl alcohol (tape head cleaner)

Allow whatever solvent you use to  evaporate before closing the cover.

MCB

Offline Rich D

• iron
I tried vacumimg and then cleaning the potentiometer with contact cleaner not this made no differnce so I have ordered a new potentiometer.
I will let you all know how things go.

Regards Rich D

Offline Rich D

• iron
New potentiometer fitted, lathe running like new  :) :)

The potentiometer was £27 delivered with wires already soldered on so fitted easily and quickly.

The potentiometer was supplied by Haydock Converters of Blackburn who make speed control kits for various lathes including the speed genie. The two chaps I spoke to were very knowledgable and helpful.

Thanks again to those who posted advice.