Author Topic: Pyrography tool  (Read 12083 times)

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: Pyrography tool
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 11:42:51 AM »
Hi Mary,
I too have just got a Davan machine and I am hoping to improve my pyrography.

I am most impressed by your replicating the font from paper to wood, and have to ask what type of tip did you use to achieve it? You have achieved a nice broad line horizontally yet kept a much thinner one for the verticals. To achieve that with pen and ink, I would use a broad nib but I wondered if that was the same for your pyrography?
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Mary

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 06:20:49 PM »
Hello,

I used the basic v nib that was sent in the pack with the Davan, I cranked the temperature up high which allowed me to get some nice depth to the burn, with the thinner parts of the lettering I just ran a bit quicker than the thicker bits. Some of the thicker bits I went over twice to give the correct size. I'm burning into ash which I'm told burns very easily and is  perhaps not the best wood to use but I quite enjoy it!

Hope that helps

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »
Thanks ever so much for the detailed reply. I am even more impressed by the results you have achieved with the basic nib. I will have to practise much more to get anywhere close to your results. Please post more of your work for us to see.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club