Author Topic: An Unexpected Seminar Result  (Read 2995 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
An Unexpected Seminar Result
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
Being a late entrant to the seminar I took my caravan instead of staying on campus. And I'm damn glad I did ....he said, Smugly!
I got on really well with the site owner and when he enquired where I had disappeared to on the Saturday, leaving herself home alone, I told him about the seminar and he promptly asked to see my bits (now then, now then enough of the smutty thinking!).
On Sunday afternoon I showed him my three gallery entries and was surprised when his first question was whether any of them were made of Yew. 
"No" says I, "Why do you ask?"
"Because I've got a yew tree that I am slowly cutting up for the fire, you can have some if its any good to you."
I had to scream at him to stop on Monday morning, as yet another branch hit the leafmould, because I just couldn't carry any more than the 6 metre-long lengths in the car. I took one of the lengths round to Geoff, another seminar delegate living locally, and promptly swopped it for a few bits of walnut he had drying in his garden.
Anybody envious, at all, I really hope so.
Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Brian

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: An Unexpected Seminar Result
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »
Hello Brian, You certainly landed on your feet with the Yew Lucky you. One Question if you showed the site owner your three gallery entries on Sunday afternoon you also must have taken them out of the Gallery early :-[ :-[ Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:02:47 PM »

Brian, it's more lucky yew, but I'm sure if it was the case of more it wood of gone in the caravan ...   ??? then to get, what about 20' lenghts in the car was doing well.  Well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »
No John, I most certainly didn't. Perhaps you and I draw a slightly different line-in-the-sand between 'afternoon' and 'evening'.
I forgot to mention that the largest length wasn't much bigger than about 7" dia and the smallest about 4" and it wasn't best quality as the tree had been overtaken by its neighbours and left in the dark and the lower branches were dying on the tree. That said, gift horses and mouths and all that!
I intend to return to that caravan site next month with a couple of breeding pairs of white doves for the owner's aviary. As well, of course, a couple of bits of woody stuff.
All the best
Brian ;D

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:13:18 PM »
Hi Brian, When you return to the caravan site I bet the site owner will be well pleased if you take him a piece turned out of that Yew.Regards John :)
John Smith