Author Topic: My first box  (Read 4566 times)

Jon Holden

My first box
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:54:42 AM »
This is my first attempt at a box. I have used boxwood to make a cocktail stick holder after my partner complained that everytime she went to get them out of the cupboard they ended up all over the workshop and apart from playing a game which was popular in the sixties that was of now use to her whatsoever. So, to keep the peace I turned up this little peice.

I would encourage helpful critique as I am very much a beginner at this (turning in general not just boxes)

My thanks go to David who has encouraged me to post photos of my work here.

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: My first box
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:28:27 PM »
Hi Jon,

This looks a nice piece of crisp turning and the thread chasing looks good too, a good tip for cocktail stick holders is to make and insert that is attached to a lift off lid so you can raise the lid the sticks also rise one can be removed and the the lid lowered back in place.

Keep up the posting.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 02:25:05 AM »

OM ...  Well Jon ...   I'm so glad the push worked, what a result, this as a 1st box and threaded too ..  is stunning, my 1st was just a push fit lid, an it still fits ..   :D ...

It takes to post a piece to get feedback, good or bad, it's how we learn, as with Martin's tip, we all benefit from what can be said.

This delightful piece could make a nice little earner too ..  it's just the time making the cocktail sticks ...   :) ..  :D ...  ;D ....

Really like it, well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:34:18 AM »
llo Jon

For a first attempt at a box and threaded as well I think you've done a great job.

In terms of the next one I would bear in mind the 1/3 to 2/3 "rule" - often known as the golden ratio.  if the lid was about a third of the overall box height you may find it looks better.  I would also be tempted to put a little shape into the box - perhaps giving it a slight waist, or maybe a taper towards to the top. 

I hope this helps.

Cheers Dave

Jon Holden

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »

In terms of the next one I would bear in mind the 1/3 to 2/3 "rule" - often known as the golden ratio.  if the lid was about a third of the overall box height you may find it looks better.  I would also be tempted to put a little shape into the box - perhaps giving it a slight waist, or maybe a taper towards to the top. 

I hope this helps.

Cheers Dave

Yes I did think that it would have been better if the lid was the female thread, that would also allow a taller lid giving the proportions you say, and also allowing easier removal of the sticks. Next bit of boxwood I get that is large enough I will give that a go.

Jon Holden

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:56:23 AM »
Hi Jon,

This looks a nice piece of crisp turning and the thread chasing looks good too, a good tip for cocktail stick holders is to make and insert that is attached to a lift off lid so you can raise the lid the sticks also rise one can be removed and the the lid lowered back in place.

Keep up the posting.

Cheers Martin.

I have been thinking about your suggestion and I'm not sure quite what you mean. Is the idea that as you lift the lid a platform comes up with it holding the sticks. It sounds a bit complicated if it is to be part of the lid. The only other way I can see it is to make a separate insert and cut it to make a thumb hold for lifting. Am I on the right line of thinking.

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »
Hi Jon,

The sticks stand in a cup that is joined to the lid with a dowel so they rise as the lid is lifted, the main stand/body can be drilled with a saw toothe bit and then the inside cup on the bottom end of the dowel be turned to fit inside, obviously not a threaded top lift with one hand and take out cocktail stick with the other. I know what I mean hope you do.

Try this link to see a pic that may help

http://www.pdhwoodturning.co.uk/tooth_pick_holders.html

Cheers Martin.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:44:28 PM by Martin Lawrence »
Martin Lawrence

Jon Holden

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 03:21:59 PM »
Hi Jon,

The sticks stand in a cup that is joined to the lid with a dowel so they rise as the lid is lifted, the main stand/body can be drilled with a saw toothe bit and then the inside cup on the bottom end of the dowel be turned to fit inside, obviously not a threaded top lift with one hand and take out cocktail stick with the other. I know what I mean hope you do.

Try this link to see a pic that may help

http://www.pdhwoodturning.co.uk/tooth_pick_holders.html

Cheers Martin.

Hey, now that I LIKE. what a simple concept. Also means you can use almost any wood as no threading required.

Yes thanks a lot for that. You may well see some variations on the two suggestions given here sometime in the near future.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »

Some real good has come from your post Jon,  lets hope for more, that this is then a bigger, better, active site ...    ;D ...

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''