Author Topic: BEGINNERS  (Read 4961 times)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
BEGINNERS
« on: November 23, 2015, 02:18:41 PM »
It occurs to me that it might be a good idea to have a category devoted to beginners. Newcomers might be less inhibited.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: BEGINNERS
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:23:43 PM »
That's a great idea, would be less intimidating for some members.  ;D
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
I have reservations about that, for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, the AWGB is very much an 'open' organisation which promotes wood-turning from all levels of experience, so segregating any one section of the wood-turning community doesn't sit well in my interpretation of the association's ethos. Secondly, how could such a matter work? If it were possible to segregate beginners, then you might deny them access to a wealth of experience, but being realistic, any member can open a post from any other member, and comment upon it,,,,and surely this is how it should be!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:12:54 PM »
I am with Les. Anyway how does one decide when you stop being a beginner.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »
Some of the regulars on here have been turning for only a few years though those who don't know that would pehaps be surprised to find it out. Others who aren't as good may have been turning for many years. I don't see how you can define beginners as such simply because some click straight away and quickly start doing more advanced work whilst others are happy to just stick to basics.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 07:42:44 PM »
Maybe a beginners guide off of the main website, just before the link to this forum.

Something that explains that we (in the forum) are prepare to help a new or improving turner learn and develop, that we don't tend to be like most forum Ohh'ing and Ahh'ing over anything that is posted.

Might be hard to get the words and sentiment right though. However I think we do a good job of it, honesty with politeness is not always an easy thing.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 10:36:11 PM »
This is already getting out of hand. I withdraw the suggestion.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 07:25:07 AM »
This is already getting out of hand. I withdraw the suggestion.

Seconded

???
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 08:36:29 AM »
Tony I think this was the obvious way this post was going to go,with all the clubs out there and the people here and the AWGB that are always willing to go out of their way to help beginners/low esteem turners,but nice try,it got some thoughts out in the open,maybe some will now post things here or ask for help after being unsure wether to before,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 06:05:43 PM »
It occurs to me that it might be a good idea to have a category devoted to beginners. Newcomers might be less inhibited.

i would class myself as a beginner and in need of alot of help and expert tuition, but think to catogorise all beginner posts to one section would stop me posting all together, it was this way of thinking that made me feel unwelcome at a club.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 08:12:04 PM »
Steve
That was far from what I anticipated, and would not have precluded people from using other categories.

I got the idea following the recent post from Janet P. She has not yet started turning (a pre beginner?) and asked what basic tools she required simply to make a start on a LOW budget. Did you see the replies? I genuinely thought it might be helpful, but who knows?

I was pretty sure it would not be adopted, but didn't anticipate some of the responses.