Author Topic: Woodturning on TV  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Woodturning on TV
« on: October 31, 2015, 07:17:13 PM »
This is only current for today (Sat 31st Oct) and from 8pm.

Freeview channel 29 'The Store', (one of those craft channels)

A woodturning show.

Nope, no idea what it's about or how good it will be, I'll be watching the first few minutes and decide then, but thought I'd announce it. Maybe the AWGB could contact therm and make overtures about doing it right.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Woodturning on TV
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »
Ohhh, It's Record Power advertising on TV.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »
i watched it for an hour even though they were trying to sell the lathe watching them make a bowl was interesting - i smiled every time the chisel had a slight catch. just shows a wood turning programme would be entertaining - i see it now - "The great British Turn off"  :D
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »
I saw this advertised and recorded it, not really knowing what it would be about. A bit disappointed when I realised that it was just a sales promotion but then got more and more irritated by the misleading claims being made, not by Tony Rhodes but by the programmes presenter.

I created a DVD and we recently had great fun spotting all the faults - misleading claims, bad practises etc. One club member has got 67 blunders!

There were several amusing claims, the main one being that you can learn turning in a weekend from a DVD. I realised later the DVD in the package, featured their DML18, a round bar swivel head lathe, but the lathe being sold was the DML305, a fixed head lathe. I can just see the owner of their new lathe trying to rotate the head! But I think the funniest thing was the price. It would have been cheaper, by £15, to buy the so called 'package' direct from Record.

If it's ever broadcast again, and you've got an hour to 'waste', grab a cup of tea and sit down for a good laugh! I just wonder how many of these packages are going to end up on ebay, when people find they've been misled.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club