Author Topic: THANKS TO ALL THE TANGO CHAPS AND CHAPESS  (Read 4847 times)

DAVE BADKIN

THANKS TO ALL THE TANGO CHAPS AND CHAPESS
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:26:03 PM »
This year was my first seminar and I must take this opportunity to thank all the AWGB committee members for all there help and support over the weekend. If it was not for their compassion and endless help I would not have enjoyed what was a overwhelming inspiration packed event.

It was organised with such commitment to the cause, IE raising as much funds to encourage and nurture the turners of the future, and teach the turners of today how to gain more skills so we can in turn do our bit. You all deserve a big thank-you and A whole heap of respect.

Thanks again, Dave, the other chap on a scooter that could steer it. LOL :D :P

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: THANKS TO ALL THE TANGO CHAPS AND CHAPESS
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »
I'll second Dave's thanks and cheery words to the commitee but would question the thinking behind the barren 'Trader's Period' on the last day.As most of you will know that session has traditionally seen each trader take over one of the lecture theatres to demonstrate, and obviously try to sell, their latest goodies. This year the session had nothing at all going on. Surely all general purchases had been made during the previous two days so what was the point? This 'free period' was then, unfortunately, seen by some delegates as a suitable time to remove their work from the gallery in spite of it still being open to the public. What a shame this one hiatus was allowed to sour the otherwise superb seminar.
On a quite separate subject....Did anyone else think the food was a little below par this year? I was the very first to eat, one lunchtime, but still had the distinct feeling that the food had already spent a holiday in the warm cupboard.
Gotta go now and play with some gloopy resin before I forget how Maralyn did it.
Tarra
Brian
PS     Please can we all wear tangerine next time....its the new black you know!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »
Brian, I cannot remember traders each going to a separate theatre to demonstrate their wares,perhaps it was prior to me attending and I have been to three seminars 2007,2009,2011. I purchased items as the weekend went on when a had a moment to spare in a hectic schedule, it would be no good waiting to the end only to find out what you wanted was sold out.I also saw items demonstrated by the professionals that were on sale and bought a few.
I have said on a previous thread what a fantastic time I had,the only day I thought the food was mediocre was on the Friday evening and the Gala Dinner was a little late in starting I did hear someone say the time between courses was slow but I thought that was ok it gave us time to talk and get to know people,and the food was great.
                                                             Regards John 
John Smith

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 01:51:33 PM »
Hi John
I was also at the seminars you mentioned, plus at least one more, and from memory I can recall going to presentations laid on by Sorby plus 2 by Phil Irons (one on his super new oval turning jig which seems to have disappeared without trace since!) and I am certain they would have been during the years you mentioned.
I reckon we ought to find either an independant arbitrator or hypnotist to settle the matter. What say you? ;D
Tarra
Brian

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »
Hello Brian,Just because I cannot remember these presentations does not mean they didn't happen Senior moments and all that.

Regards John
John Smith

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »
They did happen...and they are related to the new (now two seminars old) style of the Bazzar slot.

There used to be a slot with things like photography, chain sawing etc., but these were dropped due to lack of interest by delegates. In their place slots were brought in where the trade could introduce new tools which was initially successful but then it was found difficult to convince them to take part and it had the disadvantage that even if they were keen we only had 6 slots, and more traders, so it was difficult to make it fair.

The traders started complaining that something had to be done to help them as they helped us a lot providing lathes, raffle prizes etc., and in return they only had tea breaks and lunch times to try and sell so the present trade slot was introduced in the last two seminars. This has the advantage that they get a last chance to sell before starting to break down during the last session. We don't think this unreasonable nor wasted time, and if some people choose to collect their gallery pieces then that is also not unreasonable.

But, as the saying goes...you can't please all the woodturners people all the time...

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »
Hi Andy, I am with you I think it works fine the way it is as you say with the support the trade give us we need to help them to  make it worth them attending. Regards John
John Smith

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
Hi All
When you think about it, we were very lucky to get the number of traders present that we did. Considering that there were just 200 or so delegates. It was not like Harrogate and the othere big shows where thousands of people are present. We must do all we can to support them.
Roger G

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 02:02:44 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Andy but I wonder if you were aware that the local Loughbough press advertised that the gallery was open for public viewing until 1600hrs and that there were outsiders still arriving on the strength of it. That being the case how can it be reasonable for them to witness it being dismantled before that time?
I agree that the traders should recieve all the support we can reasonably give them, but would remind everyone that the 200 or so seminar delegates were 100% serious members of their core target market, unlike other Woody Shows where they are diluted by various other species of Woody. My last words on the subject (at last, do I hear you say??) would be to enquire what proportion of the traders' selling was actually done during the period in question.
Having given my personal feedback... and, it would seem, stirred the pot a little... I am now perrrrrrrrfectly happy to shut up and accept the decision of the commitee, not only because I appear to be a minority of one but also because I damn well enjoyed this seminar just as much as all the others I've attended and fervently wish it could become annual event.
Thanks again everyone who had a hand in its organisation and/or running whatever your garment colour.
Tarra from a rather overcast seaside
Brian   ;D

Andy Coates

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 03:24:18 PM »
I did know, Brian; I put it there! The problem, as ever, is not having the muscle to "insist" that traders stay open until four. The hope was that they would do, imagining hoards of customers, and then being happy with the odd handful. Sadly most simply wanted to pack up and get off home as Monday for them was just an ordinary day, and what we ended up with was the typical weekend-long craft fair last hour...people rushing to beat the traffic and pack early.

The truth is that the traders are never going to make a massive killing at the seminar; it's a small event in trader terms, and populated by a target audience who probably have most of what they need already, and may only be persauded to part with cash for something they've seen in a demonstration or something that's new on the market.

The ideal would be for delegates to plan spending at the seminar rather than in the months before. Axminster, for instance, will take phone orders to be collected at the seminar and save you the postage. I'm sure the others would do the same.

The traders are a huge part of the seminar; toolpost, axminster and Phil Irons provide lathes, camvac provide the dust extraction, all provide raffle prizes, and many provide incidental equipment and finishes Etc., and without this support the seminar would be a much poorer event. So the aim is to support them as far as possible in the hope that they consider it worthwhile continuing their support in coming years.

The traders hour may not be perfect, but it's the best compromise we could come up with.

And for the record, I have no problem with criticism or comment, so there's no harm done and no offence taken. All ideas are welcome becaue you never know when the gem of a idea will be proposed.

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 09:50:36 PM »
Andy I think your comments ring so true on all fronts. The traders have a miniscule number of customers compared to such events as the one at Harrogate, but still the attended. I did exactly as you stated, I purposely did not buy anything for months even down to running out of abrasive just so I could buy it at the seminar, not just to get a bargain but to add to the whole experience of the weekend and to give my support to both the AWGB and the traders attending in these delicate times for any organization or trader.
On a lighter note I had been on a diet for the three months prior to the seminar losing three stone and it was a weekend off, so the food was bloody brilliant.