Author Topic: First Ever Lathe Recommendations  (Read 5674 times)

Offline scottwoodburn

• iron
First Ever Lathe Recommendations
« on: October 17, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »
Hi all. First ever post from a wood turning beginner! Very excited to start learning the craft and will soon be purchasing my first ever lathe. I was hoping the members of the forum could guide me to a good lathe for an absolute beginner. Prefrably not too expensive!

thanks for any and all advice

Scott

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
Re: First Ever Lathe Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 03:08:16 PM »
I suggest you look at the Axminster range.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
Axminster good prices and good after sales.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
Have a look at the Axminster Hobby Series AH-1218 Woodturning Lathe package for £379.46 normally over £500 - it includes:

Axminster Clubman SK100 Woodturning Chuck with C jaws

Axminster HSS Woodturning Tools Set
3/8"(9.5mm) Bowl gouge
3/4"(19mm) Roughing gouge
3/8" (9.5mm) Spindle gouge
3/4" (19mm) Round nose scraper
3/8" (9.5mm) Parting tool
1" (25.4mm) Oval skew chisel

Axminster FM952 Safety Visor and JSP Martcare Moulded Valved Respirators
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 05:08:10 PM »
I agree with the other 2 gentlemen. Depending on budget, I would either go with the AT1416VS (£750) or the AH1218VS (£300). George has a few of the AT1416VS, and I have used it a few times in other places. A very nice lathe and will go a very long way. I would definitely recommend variable speed. If you have access to a club, seek advice there, too.

Sometimes you can also pick up a decent lathe from ebay (but you need to know what to avoid). The Union Graduates are very sturdy machines and used by many wood turners, and often available in a similar range (up to £700). The Jet 1015VS would also make a nice starter lathe, and there is one on offer for £200, that would be a good deal, and it doesn't need a lot of space.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »
check out ebay as you can get a good lathe (fairly cheap) usually with a handful of tools and blanks.

something like this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECORD-POWER-CL1-WOODTURNING-LATHE-/301768238648?hash=item4642c9e638:g:m~AAAOSwhcJWHppE

or this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodturning-lathes-/161855697939?hash=item25af59f413:g:gwYAAOSwo0JWG52I

where are you located?

Offline scottwoodburn

• iron
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 04:21:01 PM »
Northern Ireland

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 02:53:11 PM »
I would suggest buying a good quality second hand lathe, its marmite is woodturning, and if you love it you will soon become frustrated by the limitations of a small hobby lathe. Also a second hand purchase will usually come with all the basics you need and they can add up to a considerably expenditure initially. Also don't forget a good sharpening set up, again this makes the job much easier and takes some of the black art out of sharpening. With hind sight I would have gone for something like a union graduate cheap, brilliant and something to grow into rather than out of.

What ever route you choose have great fun, when you mess a project up, don't worry "wood does grow on trees" you can afford to waste a bit now and again.

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
One thing no one has mentioned is lathe height be it bench or stand mounted,the centre height of the spindle needs to be roughly at elbow height when your arm is bent at 90 degrees,if buying a new/secondhand lathe on a stand and its to low its easy to block it up to required height,if the lathe is to high on a bench or stand you need to build some sort of duckboard/platform to raise you up to a comfortable turning height.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 03:46:27 PM »
Hi Scott

Check out the Irish Woodturners Guild  http://www.irishwoodturnersguild.com/drupal/

They may have a chapter in your area and you could go along and meet a few people and see what they have.

Cheers Dave