Author Topic: AWGB International Seminar  (Read 61368 times)

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
Re: AWGB International Seminar
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »

It's a shame that their 'can do' attitude and youthful enthusiasm couldn't be incorporated in the AWGB's system.

Paul I free that is a very unfair comment to make. Since it's inception over 25 years ago the AWGB has done many great things, biannual seminars, teaching DVD, youth training, members workshops etc. whilst being run by dedicated volunteers.

PaulH

« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
whilst being run by dedicated volunteers.
Sure, but just look at the demographic of your membership.
Check reply #13 from the OP of this thread "When I look around my club most are hobby turners, the average age is over 70"

Wouldn't some young blood that hasn't retired yet be a bonus for the AWGB ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »
If there is anything wrong with the AWGB it is that too much is left to a few dedicated people who are strugggling to get it more recognised etc. The blame lies not with the AWGB per se but people like me and other 'ordinary' members who should be doing more. I agree with Mark in that what the AWGB has achieved is pretty amazing and if we want to see it growing and spreading the word it is unfair to expect more from the ones doing all the work at the moment. Talking to one of the committee at the seminar I was amazed that he found time to do his turning and earn a living as he seemed to put so much effort into the work of the AWGB.  My excuse is one of ignorance as to what was involved and before anyone criticises it for having an older membership perhaps they need to ask what they can do to improve it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2015, 01:08:08 PM »
whilst being run by dedicated volunteers.
Sure, but just look at the demographic of your membership.
Check reply #13 from the OP of this thread "When I look around my club most are hobby turners, the average age is over 70"

Wouldn't some young blood that hasn't retired yet be a bonus for the AWGB ?

Having looked at the demographic of those who have expressed an interest in the UKIWS there is not much difference that I can see. Many are hobby turners and retired. The one thing they appear to have in common is that they use U-tube a lot. There also appears to be a certain amount of ignorance about the history of turning and how it has developed over the last 25+ years along with naivety about what's involved in organising a major event. I get the impression many don't attend clubs but may be wrong.

And yes younger blood is needed not just in the AWGB but in the whole of the woodturning community. The AWGB has tried to encourage this with their Youth Training programme and I believe also with scholarships for their Seminar; it was noticeable that there were a few more youngsters there this year. But how you keep that interest going I don't know.

Paul, just out of interest are you a member of the AWGB and/or a turning club?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:17:26 PM by Mark Hancock »

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
I don't subscribe to any other woodturning forums so would be interested to hear any comments about this from other sources. I do however get the impression that the members of this forum are lining up against these guys when in actual fact we as woodturners, regardless of  membership of any association,club, guild, register or any type of organisation you can think of should be applauding them and giving them our full support. Remember if it was not for men like them a few years ago with names like Ray Key and Les Grantham the AWGB would not be in existence.
           The event they are planning is not in competition with the AWGB and will probably be different from any other show that runs in this country ar the moment.  We have all seen the postings where there are people moaning about the lack of shows or this show is closing down or that one is not being run again but when someone has the balls to stand and say I will try to arrange an event the rest of us should stand up and be counted. I organised the Trowbridge Contemporary woodturning exhibition, the first exhibition of that ilk that I have ever organised and there were other people that put in some effort to give me assisstance in its running and I can tell you it was very, very successful. All anything like this needs to be a success is help with organising and people attending. I for one have offered my help in one or two areas and I will be attending it, how many of you are prepared to stand up and be counted?

PaulH

« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »
There also appears to be a certain amount of ignorance about the history of turning and how it has developed over the last 25+ years
There are two aspects to this;
1. Does recent history of turning matter when running an event ? It may be beneficial to bring a completely clean approach to the running a seminar.
2. Has anything really changed ?
I first got interested in turning back in 1985 and coming back to it last year, not a lot has changed. Self centring chucks are now mainstream, no body bothers with lace bobbin turning any more the small 'project de jour' is now making horrible plastic pens, there's now easy free tutorials on the internet and woodturning clubs have appeared.
I get the impression many don't attend clubs but may be wrong.
Which may be a good thing of course.
Paul, just out of interest are you a member of the AWGB and/or a turning club?
No. My work makes trying to attend any sort regular meeting almost impossible.

PaulH

« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
members of this forum are lining up against these guys
I'm not reading it like that.
I just think there is a lot of justifiable cynicism about their ability to deliver what they're proposing.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
OK John, I stand chastised.  :-[ You are right with your comment "when someone has the balls to stand and say I will try to arrange an event the rest of us should stand up and be counted" has hit home. As you know I am more than happy to muck in and help where I can so maybe I should take your lead and see what happens.

PaulH Your comment "no body bothers with lace bobbin turning any more the small 'project de jour' is now making horrible plastic pens" is not acurate. I for one make all sorts of crafting tools including lace and tapestry bobbins regularly and have never turned a pen in my life. There are a number of us on here who make all sorts of things that aren't really the type of turning that is put onto a forum, if you want pictures of bobbins, niddy noddys, nostepinnes, courrone sticks, spindles, kumihino discs, crochet hooks, etc i am happy to oblige. Those of us who turn professionally make what ever people want not just the arty work just that it isn't displayed.

Pete
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:11:35 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

PaulH

« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »
John H Your comment "no body bothers with lace bobbin turning any more the small 'project de jour' is now making horrible plastic pens" is not acurate. I for one make all sorts of crafting tools including lace and tapestry bobbins regularly and have never turned a pen in my life.
If you're going to talk about accuracy at least get my name right ;-)
What I was referring to is the emphasis on plastic pens in the press and equipment sales.
Just look at the latest edition of Woodturning magazine; 4 pages on making a plastic pen.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2015, 05:21:10 PM »
I have been standing up for them all along, and pointing out that this could be a good recruiting source for the AWGB.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2015, 06:54:04 PM »
There have been a few comments since my last post so I won't do the quote thing to reply.

First I would like to point out that I would like to see this event succeed as it can only be of benefit to all.

I do frequent a number of forums purely to keep abreast with what is happening within the woodturning world. And without doubt an awful lot has changed. So much so that I often refer to myself as a "traditional" turner because of all the new fangled things that have come along. :)

My comment about ignorance of the past 25+ years was made because I feel it's helpful if you know what's happened, what has been tried and the mistakes made then maybe they won't be repeated - I do realise that the human race isn't known for not repeating the mistakes of the past :). Having spoken to one of the organisers and having looked at the event's web site the list of highlights looks very familiar - Tudor Rose's show, Turn East etc.; reinventing the wheel comes to mind.

To organise the "greatest woodturning weekend the UK has ever seen" I'm afraid will require a lot more than just enthusiasm; just ask anyone involved in the recent Seminar at Loughborough or any other big event for that matter. Why have the big shows gone - NEC, Wembley, Axminster, Midlands Show etc.? These shows covered all areas of woodworking including turning and haven't survived.

As I see it crunch time will come when the ticket price is revealed along with what the format of the show is.

I sincerely wish them the best of luck.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:01:57 PM by Mark Hancock »

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2015, 06:58:17 PM »
I see the advertising has changed from Britains FIRST woodturning symposium to Britains BIGGEST woodturning symposium  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »
 Hi Mark H,
                 I find your comments on this thread very much in line with thoughts yes if this event is a success it can only benefit Woodturning.

PaulH,
           I can understand your work prevents you from joining a Club but I cannot understand why this prevents you becoming a member of the AWGB

as you seem to be very active on the forum giving your advice I invite you to join the AWGB.

Regards John

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:54:36 PM by John D Smith »
John Smith

PaulH

« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2015, 09:34:02 PM »
you seem to be very active on the forum
Really ? I've only made 28 posts in nearly four months and half of those have been in this thread. Interesting idea of "very active".

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2015, 09:57:42 PM »
PaulH ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? Oh it seemed more than that sorry but you could still join the AWGB

Regards John
John Smith