Author Topic: AWGB International Seminar  (Read 61358 times)

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Re: AWGB International Seminar
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2015, 07:42:28 AM »
Thanks for the offer guys - leave it with me

Cheers Dave

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2015, 08:29:11 AM »
I, for one, would be happy to offer time to look after the facebook page. I feel that we would need to agree a set of guidelines for what we want and what we tolerate on the page, so that whoever might take control of it is working democratically, rather than autonomously, but once those guidelines are drawn up, it shouldn't be too onerous a task to adopt.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
I feel that we would need to agree a set of guidelines for what we want and what we tolerate on the page
Les

I've circulated the Trustees about the general idea and we feel the same.  we're giving some thought to the guidelines.  Watch this space!  It would be useful if those who would like o be involved emailed at vicechair@awgb.co.uk so we can communicate directly as this idea takes shape.

Cheers Dave

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2015, 06:29:46 PM »

Hi Everyone,
                    I have come across this today I think this is what was being discussed earlier in this thread.

www.ukiws.co.uk                Regards John

John Smith

PaulH

« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2015, 07:17:36 PM »
I have come across this today I think this is what was being discussed earlier in this thread.
www.ukiws.co.uk
Remarkable http://www.ukiws.co.uk/about/ so the most experienced turner involved has been turning for less than four years and the other do have been turning for 12 months and 18 months and they want to run the "greatest woodturning weekend the UK has ever seen" ???
I wonder how many they've seen themselves to judge it by ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2015, 08:40:44 PM »
Umm.. actually I am booked to demonstrate.

PaulH

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2015, 09:12:31 PM »
..  I am booked to demonstrate.
If they pay you, why not.

As an outsider to all this, I'm a bit cynical.
The AWGB have a track record of running big events, I assume the AWGB organisers have some confidence of who they can rely on to assist on the day, but still managed to loose a six figure sum this year.
What chance do three blokes with no apparent experience of running a major event have of delivering what they're hoping for ?
They would have to be very, very convincing to get any major sponsors to underwrite the enterprise.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2015, 10:05:04 PM »
Umm.. actually I am booked to demonstrate.
John there's no mention of you on their web site but hope it works out.

• platinum
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2015, 10:33:02 PM »
Mark only arranged a short time ago, thanks for your good wishes. If it helps promote woodturning in the UK, no matter who is doing the organising, I am interested in giving what help I can.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »
Whilst I am all for promoting wood turning I am afraid that I do have reservations. Looking at their web site the three people involved have a total turning experience of less than 5 years and I can find little example of their work online apart from you tube videos. They have about 6 months to arrange this and the only sponsors are a finish that I have never heard of that is made by one of them.There are no clubs affiliated (yet) and one, with the greatest experinece of less than 5 years, is dubbed 'the goblet king' which seems a tad over the top. I wish it well and who knows maybe they will succed. They have there work cut out I think.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

• platinum
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »
I don't think you need to be a good woodturner to organise an event.

PaulH

« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2015, 08:49:54 AM »
That's certainly true, but there are no clues anywhere that suggest these guys have any great skills in event management either.

Maybe with a bit of crowd sourcing they can pull it off, but I remain to be convinced.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »

Agreed and maybe I am over cynical but there is just something about the whole thing that doesn't sound right to me. I hope I am wrong and will happily say so if I am.

pete

PaulH

« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »
the whole thing that doesn't sound right to me.
I very much doubt there's any malintent behind it, just youthful 'can do' enthusiasm that isn't tempered by much practical experience or consideration.

I'd guess they're allowing themselves to be deluded that their You Tube channel is an indication of success. The reality is somewhat different. Most of their videos have less than a 100 'likes' and even fewer comments, and that's from a potentially global audience. Turning that "success" into a real event at a big hotel that will cost a lot of money is a different prospect altogether.

It's a shame that their 'can do' attitude and youthful enthusiasm couldn't be incorporated in the AWGB's system.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2015, 10:04:31 AM »
I don't think there is anything dodgy about it either Paul but like you I can't help but feel that the effort would be better used in conjunction with the work of the AWGB.

Pete