Author Topic: AWGB International Seminar  (Read 61394 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: AWGB International Seminar
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2015, 05:41:04 PM »
David (Atkinson)

The response that you got form your mail shot to members was very good I have quite a large database for my main company and we think that we are doing well if we get a 3% open rate. As the woodturners average age is quite high I think that many would not even read the email, do you use something like Mailchimp where you can monitor the number of emails sent, the number that get open and then the number of people that click through to the booking page.

I've been asking a few questions and it seems that there are many turners who do not go to a club, do not know about the AWGB and would have no idea there was a woodturning seminar.

These are the woodturners that need to be targeted.

In the USA they seem to have drop-in centres where people turn up and use the equipment provided and do some woodturning under some sort of supervision, could the AWGB try something like this to promote woodturning?

All the best

Ed

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »
David - Can I ask what the AAW event costs ?

Pittsburgh costs were:
$350 for symposium plus $59 for banquet ticket.

Hotel was around $120 per day plus meals.

Flights on top of all this.

Symposium ran from registration 3pm Thursday to mid-afternoon on Sunday.

It was good to see some more Brits there this year!!! Usually, it's only the UK demonstrators you meet -Phil, Nick, Richard etc.

The AAW experience is more expensive than the UK but against that you have a wider programme to enjoy. There's more info at www.woodturner.org
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2015, 06:23:28 PM »
David - Can I ask what the AAW event costs ?

Pittsburgh costs were:
$350 for symposium plus $59 for banquet ticket.

Hotel was around $120 per day plus meals.

Flights on top of all this.

Symposium ran from registration 3pm Thursday to mid-afternoon on Sunday.

It was good to see some more Brits there this year!!! Usually, it's only the UK demonstrators you meet -Phil, Nick, Richard etc.

The AAW experience is more expensive than the UK but against that you have a wider programme to enjoy. There's more info at www.woodturner.org

Ok, so lets get some opinions.

An extra day sounds good to me, we have already agreed most of us are retired so why not ?

Symposium ? Don't generally like Americanisms but it does sound more interesting than a Seminar  :)

Meals not included - That was a waste of money ( at the seminar ) to a certain extent. I have never eaten 3 cooked meals a day in my life.

More interesting stuff in the evenings would be good.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2015, 08:38:54 PM »
This could get interesting.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebp9vtklTCU
Regards
Graham

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2015, 08:41:23 PM »
The fact that they seem to think it is the first UK symposium seems a bit odd in the light of this thread?

pete
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 08:50:33 PM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2015, 08:48:08 PM »
Certainly seems odd. It would suggest that 2 'well known' turners don't know about the AWGB either.  Should they succeed I feel it is likely to do the AWGB more good than harm.
Regards
Graham

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2015, 10:00:20 AM »
This could get interesting.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebp9vtklTCU

Just watched this and found it totally bizarre. To not know there have been British and Irish Seminars for god knows how many years is unbelievable. Are either of these two members of any clubs or do they just do their own thing via the internet?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2015, 10:06:23 AM »
I responded to them and the answer I get was that they knew about the AWGB ones but wanted something different.

Pete

" Hi Pete. Thanks for your comment. Yes, I've heard of the Seminars from the AWGB and saw they were on in August. We're approaching our symposium from a different angle to the seminars of the AWGB. We're putting our emphasis on bringing UK turners and (hopefully) as many UK and Ireland suppliers together in one place showing just how large the turning community is here and giving more exposure to the lesser known suppliers as well as (again, hopefully), the bigger boys in the industry. Come an join us on the Facebook group to keep up to date with what's going on as well as on our YouTube channels. All the best, Martin"

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »
.... Should they succeed I feel it is likely to do the AWGB more good than harm.
Graham

I'm afraid I would disagree with this. I would have thought there is strength in numbers rather than having another group trying to do what the AWGB have been trying to do for over 26 years and organised by turners who appear to have little knowledge of what has happened during that time.

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2015, 10:08:07 AM »
I responded to them and the answer I get was that they knew about the AWGB ones but wanted something different.

Pete

" Hi Pete. Thanks for your comment. Yes, I've heard of the Seminars from the AWGB and saw they were on in August. We're approaching our symposium from a different angle to the seminars of the AWGB. We're putting our emphasis on bringing UK turners and (hopefully) as many UK and Ireland suppliers together in one place showing just how large the turning community is here and giving more exposure to the lesser known suppliers as well as (again, hopefully), the bigger boys in the industry. Come an join us on the Facebook group to keep up to date with what's going on as well as on our YouTube channels. All the best, Martin"

Isn't that what the AWGB has been doing??????????/

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
I thought so but not going to get into an argument.

Pete

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »
.... Should they succeed I feel it is likely to do the AWGB more good than harm.
Graham

I'm afraid I would disagree with this. I would have thought there is strength in numbers rather than having another group trying to do what the AWGB have been trying to do for over 26 years and organised by turners who appear to have little knowledge of what has happened during that time.
I think ( who knows ? ) that they are only interested in creating another symposium/seminar rather than an organisation. Their youtube videos are watched by a huge number of 'beginners' and this event would / should provide a happy hunting ground for the AWGB both for new members and for the next seminar which could be regarded as 'the next step'
I think we should applaud it.
Regards
Graham

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2015, 11:06:04 AM »
Morning all

Couple of things (or maybe four!)

Firstly comparison with what they do in the AAW isn't really appropriate.  Whilst we can pinch a few ideas here's a quote from their page about the 2015 Pittsburgh event:

We are especially grateful to the following 300+ VOLUNTEERS whose contributions were instrumental in making the event successful...

http://www.woodturner.org/?page=2015Pittsburgh

There are 15 of us trying to make the seminar happen - we haven't had 300 people at a seminar ever, never mind volunteers!

Second an extra day would cost another £150 and given people are shy of spending £400 - £450 I very much doubt they would spend £550 - £600 and the additional effort of organising it with the team we have would not be feasible.

Moving around the UK is something we are considering but at the moment we're focussed on the Midlands as most of our Branches are south of the M62.

As for the guys on YouTube I wish them well.  But where have they been all these years?  Many clubs have open days where they get support from the trade.  It isn't a new idea and from a personal perspective I agree with Mark.  I wonder if they are aware that Axminster organised a weekend turning event?  I think they ran two before deciding they couldn't make it pay.  And that's with their database to go at.  And surely they know the Irish Woodturners (IWG) hold annual events?  How many suppliers do they think there are?  Graham, could you keep an eye on this and keep us posted on their progress?

And another one for you Graham you mention that you have a far proportion of younger members at Didcot.  Can you ask them why they didn't come to the seminar?  Perhaps you could ask your other club members why they didn't go and let us know?

Cheers Dave

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2015, 11:07:30 AM »
David (Atkinson)

I've been asking a few questions and it seems that there are many turners who do not go to a club, do not know about the AWGB and would have no idea there was a woodturning seminar.

These are the woodturners that need to be targeted.

Ed

I agree - how do you think we can get at these people?

Cheers Dave

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »

I agree - how do you think we can get at these people?

Cheers Dave

Any one of us who has an outlet which is visited by the general public, should make info available. My gallery/shop has a window full of turned items, so it automatically attracts anyone interested in turning (or even just in wood)....it's amazing how many of these people say that they had no idea about the AWGB or about local clubs, so we hand out leaflets for our nearest club. As a club (Mid Wales Woodturners) we also ask stockists and dealers of turning supplies, in our area, to keep our leaflets on their counter.
However....I guess that's just the tip of the ice-berg!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.