Author Topic: AWGB International Seminar  (Read 62464 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: AWGB International Seminar
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »
In terms of local clubs, and attracting members, it surprises me that there is not more use made of the big supermarkets. In my area ( and I assume all over the UK) both Sainsburys and Tesco have huge community noticeboards purpose made for local clubs to advertise on.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2015, 04:38:38 PM »
I for one inform anyone coming into Olivers Woodturning about the local clubs and the AWGB but the number of people that visit me at the moment is few.

David I'm happy to promote the AWGB at the base of my add that I run in Woodturning every month just get some one to send me some details that you would like to see and I can start it on the next advert run.

Ed

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2015, 05:59:02 PM »

This year our Club Burcot Woodturners  have taken Woodturning to the General public by doing some outside events promoting Woodturning I was

amazed at the response we received not only did we take small lathes we had a Pole lathe that was made by a couple of our members this was a 

huge success as a Club we have attracted a number of new members and also guided some to other Clubs we would not have been able to do this  a

without a grant from the AWGB for some extra equipment we also never missed an opportunity to pass on some AWGB Flyers (which by the way 

Dave we have run out of these) where can I get some more? the type of events we attended were The Canal event at Droitwitch Worcestershire,

the Scarecrow event at Belbroughton Worcestershire (22,000 visitors over the 2 days) and the Stourbridge Canal Boat & Steam Festival  And yes   

some people never knew about Woodturning may be this is a way to attract more people to Woodturning and not keep preaching to the converted.

I do hope I have not taken this thread off the original subject if so I apologise but I do believe we need to promote our Craft/Art to the General

public.
                Regards John 
John Smith

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2015, 09:05:30 PM »
2 hours or so ago I walked in the door returning home after a trip to Scotland to run a demonstrator training course.( I'm on here now how's that for committment? ;D ;D ;D) I have just read the new posts on this thread, just a thought how about running some courses during the seminar? With a little bit of tweaking the demonstrator training course could be run over 2 half days so candidates can see other things during their time there aswell as doing the course. The tutor's assessment could take place at the seminar, make that the only time to be assessed and numbers attending will rise.
          I think logistically a hands on event would be difficult to organise due to numbers of tools and machines needed but a try before you buy side event could be successful. I had a quick "go" with Simon Hope's hollowing rig and even though he was doing a good job telling us about it nothing beats putting your own hands on the tool or jig to get the "feel" of it. I also agree with Graham's comments about the catering, good though it was, I do not normally have 3 large meals a day so perhaps a cafe/restaurant type caterer where you pay as you eat might be an option. I would still like the banquet to stay.
      So to sum up, a few different cafes or restaurants on site, basic cheap and clean bedrooms and several rooms to demonstrate or teach in with a large foyer for traders.................looks like the next seminar needs to be held in Trowbridge then!!

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2015, 07:38:20 AM »
So you are offering your house ?  :)
Regards
Graham

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2015, 08:14:13 AM »
Ah..um..actually no Graham. ::) ::) ::) I was thinking more of the local civic centre, but in the event that only 3 of us attend. the first option may be on the cards ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2015, 08:19:54 AM »
John I've sorted the leaflets.

Ed thanks for your kind offer about advertising.  I've emailed the Trustees with a suggested wording.  I'll get back to you soon.

BHT, John I'm not sure about demonstrator training and assessments at the Seminar.  They are a member benefit and I can't see people paying to attend for an assessment, or alternatively they would want a reduction on the Seminar cost if they couldn't see everything.  And the fixed cost remains the same.  Not only that, most of the assessment team/instructors are also involved in organising the Seminar and as you know we don't get time to watch the demonstrations never mind do assessments and the like.

Cheers Dave

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »
I am thinking we need to do something to get the AWGB Facebook page a bit more 'Out There' It should have way more friends ( ok, likes ) than it has, it is free publicity.
Regards
Graham

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2015, 09:54:26 AM »
I am thinking we need to do something to get the AWGB Facebook page a bit more 'Out There' It should have way more friends ( ok, likes ) than it has, it is free publicity.

Looking at it the last posting was in August after the seminar. Again I suspect that it is a case of who is going to do it? All of us who are members could / should be inputting into it and many of us are on Facebook so what can we do? I am as guilty as anyone. Those of us who teach, do demos etc could use it as could clubs to promote their meetings and demonstrations. Again I feel that as long as we are just preaching to the converted the seminar is not going to grow as we would all like. The bottom line is we need to reach out to potential turners, members etc. and Facebook is certainly one way of doing it. Would us members be alowed to promote our reaching, demonstrations etc on it? Perhaps put our work on it as we do here,tell people when we are doing shows or what is going on in the world of wood turning? I think with the amount of work involved in running the AWGB and the small number of people who do it the onus is on us ordinairy members to get more involved in the promotion side of things but we need to know how, what can we do.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
Just put a small test post on the AWGB wall.

We can all probably use it to promote ourselves/events etc.
Perhaps also the AWGB need to be members of the various woodturning groups on Facebook as well.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2015, 06:28:40 PM »
I agree with pretty much everything you say Pete but there is no point in just bunging stuff on there if nobody is seeing it. Every time a post is made it will show up to  those who have 'liked' the page. Only the admins of the page have the ability to get it 'liked' ( You know the messages, so and so invites you to like his page )  We need it liked by all our turner friends which means it needs more 'Admins'
Regards
Graham

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2015, 07:17:27 PM »
If you share a post everyone who you are friends with will see it. I have a personal page and a professional page so could share under both banners and it would reach everyone that sees my pages. That would be other turners (often not AWGB members) and non turners. It would at least broadcast the existence of the organisation and what they do. For example the travelling exhibition, tutoring opportunities that they run etc. I know that this is perhaps not strictly going to promote the seminar but how many of us shared the posts about that? One thing I have learned or rather am learning is that publicity and promotion is the biggest part of selling anything. As I said before I think it is down to us ordinairy members to get our act together and not just depend on the ones who at present do all the work. It is our organisation after all and most of us would love to see our craft getting more publicity. When you think of the huge variety of work that is done by our members it crosses most boundaries.

Pete 
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2015, 07:31:42 PM »
Ah, OK ( dont know much about Facebook :) ) I have just noticed that there is a button there that will ask all your friends to like the page as well.

So, are the powers that be happy for us to use the page as well ?
Regards
Graham

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2015, 08:41:43 PM »
Like a few of you I have a great many FB friends and would be happy to promote the AWGB via my FB pages

Ed

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2015, 09:15:34 PM »
Great to see you all getting involved like this - thank you.  I can't see any reason why you can't post your demos etc on the AWGB FB page.

And share any posts you like.  DB is right we should be part of other groups. 

I only do FB in fits and starts. Too much to do and so little time!  Not been in my shed to turn anything for a few weeks now.  I promise I will be in there this week!! 

Cheers Dave