Author Topic: Douglas Fir spindle  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
Douglas Fir spindle
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:36:04 AM »
Well you asked for more.
This is the last for a while I promise. A 1000mm x 41mm x 41mm stair spindle.
This was one of 40 spindles to match a sample. The customer supplied his own kiln dried wide grain Douglas Fir. Which is horrible to turn as spindles the difference between the hard and soft growth rings cause vibration and too much sanding will make it ridged. I know I have posted a simple spindle previously but thought you might like to see a more detailed spindle being turned.
Comments and questions welcome but please be patient for any replies as I am very busy at the moment.
Thanks for watching. (Sorry the quality of picture is not the best)
http://youtu.be/ncsvCUBXsrw

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
Re: Douglas Fir spindle
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
A superb demonstration Steve, thanks for making time to share it particularly as you're so busy.

It's clearly the result of many years at the lathe and many spindles turned. If I'd been set the challenge it would have taken ten times as long and the calipers would have been in my left hand as much as the turning tool in my right. Great skills, a good eye and sharp tools well demonstrated!!

I like the simple steady, it certainly does the job, I presume it's just bearing on the workpiece, no tension as such otherwise it'd flex and scorch the wood.

Thanks again
Rick

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 01:07:24 PM »
Thanks Rick, yes many years and thousands of spindles.
There is very light pressure on the steady, it can only be used where the spindle is to be reduced as it does mark slightly. It becomes very smooth inside with wear and every now and then (about every 30/40 spindles) I put the very lightest smear of grease in it this stops the heat building. It is very quick to put on and of making it the best option for me.
Thanks for your comments.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 05:03:25 PM »
incredible work steve.

was it just the video or is that doug fir look very pale in colour? i'm used to it being much more pink.

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 05:16:44 PM »
Thanks for your comment. Yes the video does make it look lighter. The whole batch did vary in shades but was more pink.