Author Topic: Ambrosia Maple Hollow Form  (Read 4316 times)

Mike Gibson

Ambrosia Maple Hollow Form
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »
Having just spent a week with John Jordan l read with great interest about the AWGB auction. l went to the AAW symposium in St Paul and the auction prices were also very low. l hope the prices rise in the future as both organizations do so much to further woodturning.

This is my first posting on this site and is of my feeble attempt to copy the master. The turning is Ambrosia Maple approx 7" x 6" sprayed with acrylic and buffed.

Comments and critiques more than welcome. Mike

Andy Coates

Re: Ambrosia Maple Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »
Hello Mike,

welcome to the forum, and thank you for joining in.

Having handled John's Lot for the seminar auction I can attest to it's beauty and finish. I think you've made a good job of your "copy", and I'm sure JJ would be pleased to have inspired you. I think the next step should be for you to develop a "Mike G" version, inspired but not copied. You clearly have the skills so I wonder where you'll take it now? Please post an image when you get there.

regards,

Andy

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:28:30 AM »
Hello Mike, Welcome to the AWGB Forum I went to the Seminar it was Fantastic I thought the action went well.
I like this piece as Andy said it shows your skills I look forward to seeing more of your work.Regards John
John Smith

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:59:43 PM »
welcome on board. Shame I couldn't make the event. keep up the good work.

lew

Mike Gibson

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 12:28:53 AM »
Thank you for your comments very much appreciated.
Andy,the piece l posted is from the class with John. l went to Johns advanced class to learn how he gets the movement and wonderful texture into his pieces and have no plans to copy his work. l think you will see in my next posts where l am at the moment in my woodturning.   Mike

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:15:42 PM »
Wow-ie Mike,  Welcome to the forum, it's nice to see you and your work across here ...  an we would more than appreciate your Tea Pots, as with any of your's and Cynthia's stunning work, it would be so nice to see your input.

Till the next time, take care, happy turning and carving.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Mike Gibson

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »
Thanks David,

Being an Englishman l thought it was about time l joined this forum. l will post some new work as soon as l get around to photographing them.

Mike

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 02:07:11 AM »

Mike, How'ya in Hoschton ..  Englishman well ..  must be all them Tea pots, How'd you get on for fresh English tea ...   ??? ...

Man you sure got the best of it out there, lumber and tools ...   :'( ..  will watch for whats new,  sure like to see the NIP and BLM forms.

Cheers.  David

Mike Gibson

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »
Dave, English tea is easy to come by as is Marmite, finding McVities Digestives a little harder and you have to pay dearly for them all. l try and fill my suitcase whenever l pay a visit back home.

If l want NIP  l can drive 8 hrs South and get it for free. Ambrosia Maple and Cherry and quite a few others are in abundant supply around here.

Hope to take some photos this weekend. Mike

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 08:26:01 PM »

Hi Mike, It's good you can get the tea, I know what it's like with the suitcase, due to my wife, I'm an Honorary Texan, so when over it's to load up, what we get for the $ costs more than that in £'s here, the wife can't believe the UK is so behind the time's, you'd not as she'll say ' be without, go without, get away with such costs or not have it in the Sates '  we still can't buy more than 2 boxes of Aspirin or of any kind, that's just 32,  there a bottle has 500 ....   then you can't get Paracetamol over the counter, can you !! or is it just by different Sate rules.

8 hrs ...  even for free NIP, just how far is that mileage wise, at 55 if constant speed an hour ...  that's what 440 miles ..   ??? .. an a night away .. then it's free and if you fill a F150 it's not bad, an your fuel is still ceaper than here, it's as little as £1.36 to 1.40 per litre, £6.00+ a gallon old money ...  oh what fun.

Well take care, see ya.  David