Author Topic: Finial Egg Pot  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Finial Egg Pot
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »
I've been having a play - trying to do something more ornate and multiple parts than a standard one piece turning.

The inspiration for this was the duck & goose eggs you see people make into boxes with hinges, lace, beads etc. I saw an (loosely) egg shaped box unable to stand without a base and a tall finial top.

The Box was easy, 4 finials and 2 bases until I was happy with it though.

The box is mahogany polished with Carnubra wax, mahogany also for the base, the finial is American black walnut. The base & Finial are finished in Japlac for the high gloss finish.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

theblindwoodturner

Re: Finial Egg Pot
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »
I've not come across japlac before. sounds like a decent finish. I'm used to the traditional waxes and finishes lol so this is new to me. I like the description of your piece. how have you designed the base? was  it a piece turned and then cut or by another method? this is intriguing stuff and I'm glad to get some inspiration, even if it's description leaves me open to interpretation. which is a good thing lol.

lew

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:57:10 PM »
Sorry, I assumed (mother of all foul-up's) everyone knew what Japlac was. That's a tradename but I think short for Japanese Lacquer. Basically it's a very high gloss paint, normally used for making wood look very highly lacquered the way you see Japanese woodwork is polished. Available in most DIY sheds last time I bought some.

The base was a turned ring with the legs made separately and attached afterwards.

What the picture does not show that the Egg comes out of the stand, as also the top comes out as you'd expect.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:11:46 PM »
so japlac is similar to an ebonising polish? Will look for some.

need to stock up on new finishes anyway. I've gone through sanding sealer like no one's business for years and the smell sure does drive me mad lol but  hey it does what it should do lol.

I always love finishing a piece. I don't get the true appreciation of the end finish from a visual perspective, but the feel is more than enough.

I'm daring myself to think of colour finishes

lew