Author Topic: I dont work Sundays  (Read 6863 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: I dont work Sundays
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 01:53:26 PM »
I spent about 30 years working long days and 7 day weeks much of it away from home and hardly saw my kids grow up.
I probably would not change anything but I do sometimes wonder if it was all worth it.
If I never worked another hour I still would probably worked more hours than most people
I have done my share and more.

Regards George
Well said George, you and me both. A few years ago now before my brush with cancer and all that a 14hour day was normal. At times I did an unpleasant job for lots of money but nowadays I do a pleasant job for what I can get.(not a lot sometimes) Now I work for people I like, if I don't like you go to someone else and ask them.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »
ha ha, we are all getting as grouchy as each other  :) :) :)

At the end of the day we all do things differently and no I do not think you are being selfish George. It is your business and you do what you want with it, for me Sunday is a family day so I choose not to work it. Others may decide differently that is each and everyone's prerogative.

Now back to the F1 ( another reason for not working Sundays)  :)

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
I don't regard any particular day as being special and often work and/or teach on a Sunday. Being self employed gives me the flexibility to work when I want ( or when the Tax Man tells me  :D ) Feel free to pass on my details George ;)
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Tom Sherman

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 05:37:05 PM »
I have in the past attended a learning session with a professional, I felt that it was up to me to avail myself to his schedule so that I could receive the knowledge I was seeking. I have no problem in respecting a man's choice not work on any particular day be it for religious or other reasons. Good on you George for standing your ground.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 07:44:24 PM »
I think your been selfish George, you get paid for 6 days and wont even give a free one on a Sunday  :D :D - just joking - i have only had a couple of days off work since last chritmas even cancelling a paid holiday to work but its my fault, i must admit i do like sundays as my day, even if i work its because i want to and usually i work on somthing different to the week days.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 08:16:46 PM »
If I do something on a Sunday it is usually having a play and making something different not necessarily something to sell.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »
So I couldn't not work today, I had to drill holes in the bottom of some indian clubs so that I can fill them with lead and today was the only day my no.1 son was available to hold said clubs while I drilled them. I am making a capital investment this week, I am getting a new pair of welders gloves to wear when casting with hot metals. I suppose I should say it is a H&S issue but actually I'm getting fed up warming my hands during the process. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »
When I  retired I  set up “Detective Walks' as a potentially remunerative activity to supplement my pitifully inadequate pension.

The Walks take people to places mentioned in the Sherlock Holmes stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and locations that were important in Doyle's life. Because the locations are all in Central London, some in the City, I  find that it's better to lead them at weekends, especially Sundays in the City, because it's quieter (so the customers can hear me) and  because the participants are less likely to be run over.

So it suits me to be paid to work Sundays from time to time - and my charges are the same irrespective of the day of the week.

And the small income from the walks helps pay for my hobbies, including Turning

MC

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 06:55:26 PM »
In most jobs if you work on a weekend you get payed extra maybe I should have said to her I will work Sunday if you pay me double time.I wonder how that would have gone down.

Regards George

George,

this forum needs a 'Like' button - I like this.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 09:05:43 PM »

What if Doctors, Surgeons, Police, Military Personnel, and many other professionals refused to work on Sundays. ????? ::) ;)

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 10:11:47 PM »
And Vicars  :D :D :D

PaulH

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 10:20:35 PM »
What if Doctors, Surgeons, Police, Military Personnel, and many other professionals refused to work on Sundays.
They would get in trouble for breach of contract.
All those professions are generally staff employees who have contractual obligations to work 365 if necessary. They know it's expected of them when they agree to work in that field of employment.

When you're self employed, that's no longer an issue.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 11:04:34 PM »
And Vicars  :D :D :D

Vicars (and other ministers of religion) can't complain about working on Sundays when they only work one day a week!

MCB

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 11:05:59 PM »
And father Christmas only works one day a year  :o :o :o

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 11:32:36 PM »
And father Christmas only works one day a year  :o :o :o

But it's rarely a Sunday.

And being picky, I  think he works nights!

MCB