Author Topic: I dont work Sundays  (Read 6864 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
I dont work Sundays
« on: September 27, 2015, 07:58:10 AM »
Several weeks ago a woman rang me and said she wanted to book her husband in for two days tuition on a Saturday and Sunday. I told her I do not do tuition on a Sunday but would be quite happy to do a Friday and Saturday.
her reply was that he did not want to lose a days pay by having Friday off. I suggested he took the Friday as one of his holiday days.
No he did not want to do that so she is going to try somewhere else Good luck to her I don't know anybody that works Sundays doing woodturning tuition.
Why would somebody expect me to give up my Sunday by working for the same money .Because it is a hobby to them do they assume it is a hobby to me and I want to do it seven days a week.
I will do everything I can to accommodate students but I am not making myself a slave to it there has to be some give and take.

Moan over would you expect a pro turner to give up his Sundays to teach or am I being selfish.

Regards George

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:51:52 AM by GBF »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: I dont work Sundays
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:32:28 AM »
I do work Sundays doing shows sometimes but agree that tuition on a Sunday would be a no no. Personally I find that being self employed I tend to grab days off as and when possible but try to keep Sundays free whenever possible.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »
In most jobs if you work on a weekend you get payed extra maybe I should have said to her I will work Sunday if you pay me double time.I wonder how that would have gone down.

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 08:38:58 AM »
In most jobs if you work on a weekend you get payed extra maybe I should have said to her I will work Sunday if you pay me double time.I wonder how that would have gone down.

Regards George

Not sure if that still works George, double time seems to have disappeared in a lot of jobs nowadays. No harm in trying if it happens again though, nothing to lose and everything to gain. If we charged the same sort of rate as plumbers electricians etc charge we would be doing well wouldn't we LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:35:54 AM »
I think you are being totally unreasonable George , I mean you get paid AND expect time off? I would have thought that out of the kindness of your heart you would've paid that poor man his daily pay for the Friday so that he can come and learn from you. How else do you expect him in the coming months to be able to set up shop with poorly made items to sell that he only prices to cover the timber costs?
        Sometimes George I despair, you obviously have no committment to advancing the craft of woodturning whatsoever! It wouldn't surprise me if you expect to eat everyday this coming month. Some people!!Huh!!!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 10:53:43 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 11:53:53 AM »
shouldn't worry about it George, the way things are going Sunday will be a work day and Friday will be the day off. 

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 11:59:34 AM »
         George .....            Have you told your Susan that there is no need to Cook Sunday Lunch.  :P
         Di..T

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 12:06:05 PM »
I used to be a self employed Dental Technician George,never liked working Sundays,but in the Dental trade you just had to at times because of the amount of work coming in there was no way of avoiding it,and no double time either as it was all peacework ,priced per item made as woodturning is.If I was a professional woodturner I think I would have to state in my adverts/website that I didn`t/wouldn`t work sundays,just so people knew exactly where they stood before they tried booking,as it would save any embarrassing moments like you have just been through with this lady,Regards,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

PaulH

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »
would you expect a pro turner to give up his Sundays to teach or am I being selfish.
I assume you are charging people for your tuition ? so how how are you 'giving up a Sunday' ?
As someone who is presumably self employed you have complete control of when you work and how much you charge, religious obligations aside.

As a potential client of woodturning tuition myself, I'm amazed at how inflexible some places are. At the same time I'm also amazed at how ridiculously cheap some courses are.
Maybe you'd find people happy to pay a lot more for courses at weekends that suit them. In turn you might find it better to work a weekend and have free days midweek in return for much greater profit. Entirely your choice.

As an aside; My field of work is 365 days a year and any extra payments for weekend working went in the last century. Only Christmas day itself attracts a higher rate.

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 12:27:01 PM »
I wouldn't expect anyone to work Sundays.
it is however a personal choice. Many work Sundays and have other days off.
I never work Sundays and it's that simple. Sunday is the day I spend precious time with my wife. ( and family if they are around). Being self employed doesn't have many perks now but choosing what days you work is one of them. Having said this I do not demonstrate or give tuition, 95% of my work is to the trade so working weekends is not necessary. 

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »
would you expect a pro turner to give up his Sundays to teach or am I being selfish.
I assume you are charging people for your tuition ? so how how are you 'giving up a Sunday' ?
As someone who is presumably self employed you have complete control of when you work and how much you charge, religious obligations aside.

As a potential client of woodturning tuition myself, I'm amazed at how inflexible some places are. At the same time I'm also amazed at how ridiculously cheap some courses are.
Maybe you'd find people happy to pay a lot more for courses at weekends that suit them. In turn you might find it better to work a weekend and have free days midweek in return for much greater profit. Entirely your choice.

As an aside; My field of work is 365 days a year and any extra payments for weekend working went in the last century. Only Christmas day itself attracts a higher rate.

well said.

i work when i feel like it and this is usually when i'm bored or just have work to do but i don't care what day it is and i'm happy to accommodate the customers requirements which usually means a weekend as unless they are retired they work 9-5 mon-fri.

PaulH

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »
i'm happy to accommodate the customers requirements which usually means a weekend as unless they are retired they work 9-5 mon-fri.
Not a reliable assumption to make now, lots of people work flexible days/hours. However many of the people with good amounts of disposable income do work M-F so it's a potential clientèle base not to be dismissed.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 01:16:58 PM »
I don't work Sundays , it is a family day. Even though I too charge for my time the nice thing about being self employed is that I work when I decide and not when people want me to, at least not unless I am getting double time as I use to when being employed and even then I probably wouldn't as I would rather spend time with my family and friends over a good meal and a few glasses of my favorite. You will soon forget the money but not the family time.

It is more simple I guess for those without family to spend time with or having a family that is not so important to spend time with. !! When money is your god.   

Being flexible being self employed is for me, and not the other way around. One of the benefits offsetting the negatives.

Very rarely do I get asked to teach on a Sunday, in fact can't remember the last time and despite not offering this Sunday service I am now having to turn down work for tuition.

Each of us are different for our wants and needs, but if people can not organise themselves for 6 days out of 7 then please don't call me.  :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 01:26:48 PM »
I spent about 30 years working long days and 7 day weeks much of it away from home and hardly saw my kids grow up.
I probably would not change anything but I do sometimes wonder if it was all worth it.
If I never worked another hour I still would probably worked more hours than most people
I have done my share and more.

Regards George