Author Topic: One handed turning  (Read 8892 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
One handed turning
« on: September 25, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
I have just made this video in response to a customers comments about not believing me there are one handed turners.
PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME
There are some inspiration people out there who over come incredible difficulties, including blind turners.
I am using just one arm to demonstrate how woodturning can be done even with one hand but I was able to learn with two where others are not so lucky.
The AWGB help disabled people learn woodturning and my membership is worth paying for that alone.
So here's the video
http://youtu.be/nyskn2vx_-U
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:17:39 PM by Steve Jones »

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: One handed turning
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
skilfully done steve.

well done for showing the customer that people need not be held back by their disabilities.

i guess we all do it occasionally, i know i do when i'm turning wands or other thin items as my left hand is cradling the work.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 05:20:14 PM »
Not only is is this inspirational for people with disabilities, it should also be shown to two-handed beginners to demonstrate that tool control is everything, and relies for the most part on the hand holding the tool, not the hand on the rest.
Well done!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »

Hi Steve,
            Thank you for sharing I hope this inspires all woodturners. Regards John
John Smith

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 06:17:03 PM »
Steve that is very impressive, well done, not many turners could do that. I can now see loads of people trying this and ending up injured as they will not have the required skill level to complete it safely. As the H&S coordinator may I ask other turners  please do not attempt this as you will get hurt.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:16:48 PM »
Like many turners there are times when I turn one handed but to be honest turning the way we see in the video is a different ball game. Easy when you know how. If you have a disability then there will usually be ways to overcome that if you really want to but I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to turn this way for a number of reasons. I have spent time alongside a turner who was blind. He was brilliant at bowls and spindle work but worked by feel and sound, I learnt a lot from him but have never tried turning with my eyes closed. Inspirational yes but with a lot of reservations I am afraid. It can be done but is also potentially dangerous. Don't forget also that people with disabilities have ways of compensating and ovecoming that are alien to those of us with no disability.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 07:17:52 PM »
Mark Sanger and I did a course where one of the turners only had use of his left hand and he made a very respectable bowl with our guidance. We got our heads together before the course and practiced working with only the left hand so that we could teach him safely.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 07:49:09 PM »
wow - thats great - well done - i bet your left hand was itching to join in,
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 08:10:21 PM »
Wow! didn't expect a response that quick.
Thank you for everyone's input.
Sorry but I didn't  want people to copy the methods, I should have pointed that out, I was just pointing out that people find ways around their disabilities and good tool control is essential. Also, please note I have long handles on my tools not the short handles found on many tools.
I don't ever practice this it's basically the same method I turn normally but without the guide of the left hand. The left hand should not be used to control a skew!(my opinion) a light grip just as a guide really. I like most turners do turn one handed when supporting thin work.

Pete I take your point and as any woodworking it can be dangerous. I would say that the method in the video is less dangerous than a lot of tutorial videos I see of turners using very poor methods, like using the left thumb to control the skew. You will see this method of grip gives a very good amount of contol (no chance of it flying out your hand) and your fingers are a long way from any danger. The skew should be an extension of your arm not having the handle flapping around in fresh air.
As George points out it takes planning and a lot of thought to find methods for various abilities and Pete you are so correct in that  people with disabilities have ways of compensating and ovecoming that are alien to those of us with no disability.
Seriously though if some of you really think this is unsuitable to post I will more than happily remove it.
P.S. Yes Steve W the left hand was itching to join in if only to divert the shavings from my direction.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 08:24:52 PM »
The full story.

A woman telephoned me and asked me too book in a days woodturning course for a her. In the conversation she said her husband would drop her off so I suggested they both have a days tuition. She then said the problem was her Husband only had the use of his left hand because he had polio as a child and had never been able to use his right hand but had always accepted that there was a lot of things in life he would just have to forgo. I said to her that seems an awful shame but she said he would have loved to have done it but he would just accept it. I booked her in for a days one to one tuition and then rang Mark Sanger to ask him if he thought it would be possible to give this man a days turning. We thought this must be possible with some preparation but there was no way I was going to be able to teach two learners one with only his left arm.
I rang the woman up and told her that if her husband would like to join her for the day it would not be a problem and he would be able to turn a nice bowl but as he had his disability there would be two of us teaching and they would both get one to one tuition.
She was happy about this so a date was set and Mark and I practiced left hand only turning and they both had a wonderful day and made a very nice bowl each.

Regards George

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 08:36:09 PM »
Brilliant, well done George and Mark, a great service from true professionals.
 It all goes to confirm there are some excellent tutors and Others like myself who should leave teaching and demonstrating to those who are good at it.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 08:44:49 PM »
Having watched Steve's video I really cannot see anything wrong with it, not something I would teach but he  is not teaching. Even if he got a catch doing this I cannot see as there would be any danger or risk to himself. I am on holiday but as soon as I get home I am going to try this.
I suppose this is what John is trying to avoid people copying what could be a bit risky and maybe he is right.

Regards George

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 09:04:29 PM »
George I think this comes down to something we have all touched on before and that is experience or the lack of it. I appreciate that Steve, you, Mark ,Pete and me and others of that ilk are professional and very experienced turners with many years of turning under our belt. We have probably made all of the mistakes that can be made and probably experienced some that had never been made before. What I was trying to warn about was those people that think they have the experience but in actual fact do not and cannot see the dangers of trying something like this.
 Do you remember that video on you tube that someone made to demonstrate why you don't use a roughing gouge on faceplate work?That's exactly it.
         I still think this an impressive display of skill, most of us can and do turn one handed to a certain extent but I would add we mainly do it when needed. Steve I think you should offer your services to Phoenix house recovery centre, your skills may be in demand.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
I do remember that John but I don't think this is quite the same .That idiot obviously was not as clever a he thought he was and paid the price.
I hope Steve does not remove this video but maybe put a caption on it saying don't try this at home

Regards George

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 09:16:56 PM »
John, I appreciate your concern and a fair point I have added a little to my first post pointing this out.
I shall pass on your advice about the Phoenix house recovery center. My teaching skills are useless and the peg legs I can make have long been replaced by the prosthetic leg so I would not be in demand. ;)