Author Topic: Woodturning in Malta?  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Woodturning in Malta?
« on: September 18, 2015, 07:47:36 AM »
Does anyone know of any wood turners in Malta? Very limited information on the WWW. ?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Woodturning in Malta?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
It's been a few years since I was last there, but if you might visit Ta'Qali (next to the National Football stadium), it's also the Malta Craft Village.

It’s based in an old WWII RAF airbase (including many Nissan Huts), it has an aircraft museum, you can have lunch in the old RAF Canteen, look around the craft shops and see where/how things are made (they are famous for their filigree work) and yes, there are people working wood and I remember seeing at least one lathe there last time I visited.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »
You could always give me the money you would've spent on a trip to Malta and sit in my shed watching me.....I will even throw in some cheap red wine for you. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »
I was out there last week, it struck me there is a very limited supply of raw materials due to the nature of the island. I am curious as to whether they import or have a local supply......... Planning my retirement.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 09:05:12 AM »
I vaguley remember that olive wood is a common wood in malta? Might be wrong there. This turner is in Malta by the way.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities