Author Topic: "Woodmen"  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
"Woodmen"
« on: September 15, 2015, 08:27:27 PM »
Does anyone remember a business by the name of "Woodmen", based in Cardiff? I can remember them from the mid to late 60s and I seem to remember that the proprietor's name was Voisey (possibly Nigel Voisey).

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: "Woodmen"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 09:19:29 PM »
Oh there is a name from the past Les. I will need to excavate my brain a bit to dig up his details. I'm sure that was the name of a chap that the firm I was apprenticed at used to use. Late 60's from my part.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »
Oh there is a name from the past Les. I will need to excavate my brain a bit to dig up his details. I'm sure that was the name of a chap that the firm I was apprenticed at used to use. Late 60's from my part.

Cheers John.....I recently bought a 'lot' on ebay for £51. Its main item was a Woodmen KL800 lathe, which is not in working order, but it came with a batch of tools which included 3 Henry Taylor 'Diamic' gouges, 5 Sorby and 3 Marples....as well as a set of 5 palm-held chip carving tools. Not a bad lot for £51. The lathe looks remarkably solid and I suspect that it won't take much work to get it going, so I'll do it up and sell it on....maybe even get my money back!

When I dabbled in wood-turning, briefly, I considered a mug-tree to be the height of skill until I called in at Woodmen in Cardiff, and Nigel Voisey turned an egg-cup and gave it to me. I recall being very impressed by that....times change, eh!

Les

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:44:36 PM »
Not sure if it is the same Nigel Voisey but there is one listed as a designer, 74 years old in Cardiff who most recently worked with Lovells who make the RPT smocks.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 09:54:02 PM »
Not sure if it is the same Nigel Voisey but there is one listed as a designer, 74 years old in Cardiff who most recently worked with Lovells who make the RPT smocks.

Pete
...it certainly sounds very likely, Pete.

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »
Nigel Voisey designed and made the VB lathe. He designed it for, and with, Roger Buse (hence the "VB"). Sadly Nigel is no longer with us.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 10:02:50 PM »
Nigel Voisey designed and made the VB lathe. He designed it for, and with, Roger Buse (hence the "VB"). Sadly Nigel is no longer with us.
Thanks for the info, Andy.

Do you know anything about the Woodmen lathe? I can't find any info about it, not even on the lathes.co.uk website. .

Les

Andy Coates

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »
There was a "woodman" lathe, and a "woodmen" lathe. SP800 or something similar. Possibly Swedish. Other than that...it's for turning wood on :)